Out of it

All was surprisingly peaceful in the palace of Corona...well...until a black cat came sprinting through the halls that is. Sunny ran through the halls avoiding guards, workers, and even the king and queen of Corona.

He was trying to find (Y/n) as fast as he possibly could. He paused when he came upon two different hallways before rolling his eyes and letting out a growl before sprinting down the hallway on his left. He ran until he came to a room with double doors knowing exactly who was in said room.

Sunny started scratching at the door and letting out desperate meows wanting to be let in. The door was opened slightly by Eugene and Sunny took his chance. He sprinted through the small crack and easily avoided Rapunzel as he spotted (Y/n). His green eyes widened and he ran towards her faster only to run right into the window.

Eugene, Rapunzel, and (Y/n) looked at Sunny hoping he wasn't hurt while Pascal and Ruddiger laughed at him. Rapunzel approached the feline to make sure he was okay only to receive a hiss. Sunny started scratching at the window to be let out onto the balcony and the princess complied.

Sunny immediately squeezed through the window and but a small part of the witch's dress trying to get her to follow him. (Y/n) looked down at Sunny confused and reached out a hand to pet him. Sunny hissed at her and continued to tug on the girls dress.

"Sunny, I'm not in the mood to go on some scavenger hunt in the forest. Maybe someone else will suffice." (Y/n) said softly as she looked back down on her lap. Sunny pawed at her arms and tugged on her dress more trying to get her up.

Rapunzel and Eugene stared at the feline's strange behavior. "Is it just me or is the cat being stranger than normal?" Eugene asked and Rapunzel nodded. "He obviously wants (Y/n) to go somewhere...but where?" Rapunzel asked out loud and Eugene shrugged his shoulders. "No clue, but by how frantic he is it must be important."

"Princess Rapunzel!" Lance, Catalina, and Kiera yelled as they also ran into the room. Eugene walked up to the window and stared sadly at the witch before closing it not wanting her to be disturbed.

"Lance? Kiera? Catalina? What are you guys doing here? Why aren't you with Varian?" Rapunzel asked the trio. "Yeah, um, about that." Lance said rubbing the back of his neck only for Kiera to roll her eyes.

"The nerd is completely out of it!!!" Kiera yelled taking everyone back by her loud voice. (Y/n) was able to hear it through the window and turned her attention towards the group. She opened the window slightly to hear what was happening.

"Completely out of it? What do you mean?" Rapunzel asked and Eugene shrugged his shoulders. "I mean if you really think about it he's been out of it all day." He said and the trio rolled their eyes.

"We asked Varian questions about why he's in love with Rosalie, but when he answered it was everything he loved about (Y/n)!" Catalina explained and everyone in the room was confused.

(Y/n) only heard the first part of what the girl had said. Her eyes were wide at the fact that the person Varian was in love with was Rosalie. She didn't think her heart could break anymore, but she was proven wrong as she heard this news. Her eyes slowly started to pool with tears once more.

Loud thunder caught the attention of the group making them look over to the witch who once again had harsh rain crashing down on her with lightning striking down around her every few seconds.

Eugene sighed as he made his way to the balcony. (Y/n) moved back so he was able to get through and he closed the window behind him giving them privacy.

There was a few moments of silence before (Y/n) spoke up. "You both knew didn't you?" She asked softly and a sigh left Eugene's lips. "We both found out today. We were on our way to tell you when we saw how torn down you were in the meadow. We decided it was best not to tell you until we thought you were ready. I'm sorry kid. I know there is a lot on your plate already and now you have to deal with this." Eugene said and he cautiously put his hand on the girl's shoulder surprised he wasn't struck by lightning.

(Y/n) nodded slightly. "Thanks anyways. I was gonna find out sooner or later. I guess I just don't understand why." She said softly and Eugene carefully moved closer to her, the lightning stopping completely as he did. He put an arm around her shoulders trying his best to comfort her. "That's what we're trying to figure out." Eugene said and the witch nodded.

Rapunzel and the trio watched as Eugene climbed out onto the balcony with (Y/n). "What do you mean by everything he answered was about (Y/n)?" Rapunzel asked completely confused. "We asked him questions about why he loved Rosalie and every single one of them referred back to (Y/n). He's still in love with her, but everything in his memory has been changed to Rosalie." Lance answered and Rapunzel thought for a few moments.

"That doesn't make any sense." Rapunzel said as she thought about what she had just been told. She glanced at Sunny that was still trying to get (Y/n)'s attention. Her eyes widened as an idea popped into her head.

Rapunzel quickly opened the windows to the balcony. "Eugene grab (Y/n), we are following that cat!" She said with a determined smile on her face. Eugene raised an eyebrow at the princess silently asking if she was sure only for her to nod at him.

Eugene sighed and stood up. "You heard the princess, kid. Let's see what Sunny wants you to see." (Y/n) sighed before nodding. Eugene held a hand out to her and she took it standing up.

Catalina handed (Y/n) a large cloak and the witch quickly wrapped it around herself. The group watched Sunny as he continued to meow at them to hurry up as he paced back and forth in front of the door.

Rapunzel let Sunny out of the room and they all started following him through the castle halls. They also had to be careful about King Edward seeing the witch who still had the dark cloud over her head. As they got closer and closer to where Sunny was leading them, (Y/n) noticed something.

The witch sniffed the air a couple times before her face scrunched in disgust. "Do you guys smell that?" She asked the others and they all looked at her confused before shaking their heads no. (Y/n) simply just looked back at them with the same confused expression.

"How can you guys not smell that? It's the same smell as..." The witch paused as she realized where she knows the smell from. "Varian from this morning." She said softly looking back down towards the ground.

The smell started getting stronger and stronger as the group kept going. Sunny soon stopped in front of a door taking a moment to sneeze and started scratching at the wall next to the slightly ajar door. Rapunzel stared at the door confused as to what was so important about this room. She had also taken notice of (Y/n)'s reaction to the smell.

"(Y/n), is that smell coming from here?" She asked and the witch nodded. Rapunzel looked back at the door confused before opening it all the way. The moment the door opened all the way Sunny ran behind (Y/n) trying to get the smell out of his nose.

"Oh god it's even worse now." (Y/n) said. "I-I can smell it too." Rapunzel said as she also scrunched up her face. The rest of the group agreed that they could start to smell what was so bad now. The group made their way into the room except (Y/n). She stayed outside with Sunny and Ruddiger.

Something quickly caught the princess' eye. There was an old and tattered book on one of the beds. On the nightstand next to it was a pile of previously melted wax and a small jar with various things inside of it. Rapunzel read the cover that said 'Shadow Work'.

"What do you have there, Blondie?" Eugene asked as he looked at what she had found. "I think this is worse than we thought it was going to be." The princess replied and they shared a nod.