Overcoming Fear

Debris was falling all around us inside the tunnel. "Rapunzel, we really gotta hurry. How much farther is it?" Varian asked nervously. "Uh, we're here. You wanted a big underground cavern? I give you...the Demanitis Chamber." Rapunzel said and I looked up at the large chamber.

"Woah." Varian and I said together. "It-it's amazing." He said and I glanced at him to see him really excited. "You should have seen it before all these red rocks." Rapunzel said and we both turned to her. "Y-you've actually s-seen this before?" Varian asked only for Rapunzel to shrug her shoulders. "You could say that." She said and I rose a brow at her.

"Man, I would've loved to have met Demanitis." Varian said softly. "I did." Rapunzel and I said together making both of our eyes widen. "W-wait...h-how do you know Demanitis?" Rapunzel asked me and I rubbed the back of my neck. "He was my spirit guide for quite awhile, but once we left to follow the black rocks I didn't really see him. The only times I did see him was when we were around Vigor for some reason." I said and Rapunzel nodded. "H-he was a monkey when I met him. Uh, long story." She said before she started walking again. "Okay, when this whole thing is over with, we are talking about that because I have questions." I said and Rapunzel nodded.

"Oh! Okay, there's the base. Encasing it in amber should stop the fear from-" Varian said only for the rocks to grow more into the structure making the floor beneath us crack. "Okay, less explaining more pouring." Rapunzel said before wrapping Varian with her hair. I watched as Varian paused for a moment before he poured the liquid onto one of the rocks. He ran back to us and Rapunzel shielded us with her hair in case something went wrong.

We all watched waiting for something to happen only for the liquid to absorb into the rocks. "What? Gah! I don't understand. This solution should encase the red rock...oh, of course! Ugh! So dumb, Varian!" He yelled and I placed my hand on his shoulder. "You're not dumb, Sapphires. What's wrong?" I asked softly.

"Whatever turned these rocks red must've also changed their internal chemistry." Varian said still thinking of something. "So, that solution only works on black rocks?" Rapunzel asked and Varian nodded. "Yes. Well, what's left of it." Varian said tapping the vial that only had a drop left. "But I...I don't even see any black rocks." He said looking around. "I do." Rapunzel said and she pointed up to one small rock poking out of the wall. "Okay, this just got a lot harder." Varian said softly and I nodded.

Varian laughed nervously as he stared up at the rock. "You're telling me I gotta climb all the way up there? Nobody in their right mind would climb-" "Race you to the top!" Rapunzel yelled as she jumped onto the rocks. "You were saying, Sapphires?" I asked with a slight smirk and he rolled his eyes. "Oh, come on." He said staring at the rocks and I giggled.

I started walking towards the rocks. I was about to place my hand on it when Varian grabbed it. "Y-you're not seriously thinking about climbing these are you?" He asked and I shrugged my shoulders. "It'll be fine. Worst fear or not, we need to save Corona." I said and he nodded. "Ladies first." He said and I climbed onto the rocks.

"Kill the witch!" "Get her!" "How could you?!" "You killed them!" Was the only thing I heard. I glanced to the side to see Varian. He was bloody and battered as he glared at me. "You did this to me. How could you? You said you loved me, but all you did was destroy my entire home, and for what? A stupid deal with a demon? You know what? I don't think there actually is a demon. I think you did all of this on purpose. You destroyed the kingdom, you hurt countless people, and you have the nerve to stand before me and tell me you didn't mean to? That you're sorry? Begging the entire kingdom for forgiveness?" He said with a sharp glare.

I stared at him for a few moments as I swallowed the lump in my throat. 'You're not real. I-I'd never hurt you, Varian.' I thought to myself. A hand on my lower back made me jump and I turned to face the real Varian. In perfect health, not bruised, bloody, or hurt in any way. "You okay?" He asked and I gave him the best smile I could before nodding.