Chap. 22 - Domestic life, just as adventurous (1)

Start from the beginning

After this little scare, our two protagonists walked through the city. At first they were planning to just ration their food and take a short break but it quickly changed to them exploring the place. Everything was so modern. Tall buildings with large boxes on the side going up and down. Merchants and other artisans were working on their crafts using methods and machinery they've never seen before. The streets were divided to make way for big carriages, transporting up to fifteen people. Of course they hopped on one of them.
"So you're going around the city all day so people can reach their destination?!" (Y/n) asked the coach.
"That's pretty much it, yes." they nodded.
Her eyes widen. In her village, you could walk around the whole place in a short hour. Monkey laughed at her look of disbelief. They decided to stay on this carriage to see all of the city. It had different districts which seemed to have their own specialties: metal work, food, schools, all of them working like clockwork (whatever that meant). It seemed that, whatever you were looking for, you could very probably find it here. Our two protagonists were very impressed.

"Thief! Thief!" a woman cried.
They looked over just as the carriage passed by a man running away with a pink, expensive-looking bag.
"Hey!" (Y/n) shouted as Monkey jumped off the carriage to run after him.
She wanted to do the same, but given the carriage's speed, she had to be more careful. Monkey dashed through the street, dodging every item the thief would throw at him to try and stop him. Though when he pushed children, Monkey had to catch them before they fall and hurt themselves. He clicked his tongue as he watched the thief gaining ground and laughing. Fortunately, because he wasn't watching where he was going, he bumped into someone and the two of them fell down. The thief shook his head and looked up to see a young man wearing a grey-ish green scholar hanfu, he looked confused.
"Don't let him get away!" Monkey shouted as he ran up to them.
The young scholar then noticed the bag that clearly didn't belong to the man given its color. The two men quickly stood up, but before the thief could run away, he hit him in a couple of spots, making him froze and fall on the ground. Monkey watched with a dropped jaw. (Y/n) caught up to them just as this happened and she was just as shocked. There were gasps from the people around them, and whispers about the young man being from 'Guangfu Xue'. He took the bag and walked up to them.

"This is yours I presume." he handed (Y/n) the bag.
"Huh? Oh, no actually, it belongs to a lady up the street- But nevermind that! Is he okay?!" she leaned to the side to look at the thief, motionless on the ground. "Is he dead?!"
"Nah, just unconscious." Monkey said. "The real question is what the hell was that?!" he gestured towards the thief then at the scholar. "You're just a human! How did you do that?!"
The scholar blinked twice, confused for a moment, before smiling.
"Ah, yes. This is a fairly new thing after all. I used chi blocking."
"Chi blocking?" (Y/n) repeated, her and Monkey frowning slightly.
He nodded.

"My name is Cheng Liu, I go to Guangfu Xue on the South side of the city. A prestigious school known for teaching various subjects you wouldn't usually found anywhere else, a school for people who wish to learn the unlearnable."
Our two protagonists shared a glance. He continued.
"Around fifty years ago, a new practice has been added to the available classes. You see my teachers' teachers discovered that the pressure points used in acuponcture, where the chi flows, could also be used to incapacitate someone as well as cure them, depending on which point you block. So this chi blocking art can be used for self-defense. Don't worry though, he should be able to move again in an hour or so."
(Y/n)'s eyes slowly widen in wonder as he spoke, a little spark in them.

"Does it work on demons?"
Monkey looked at her, with an idea of why she asked that question. Cheng Liu thought for a moment.
"I'm sure it does, as long as you know where their pressure points are."
"Pfff, not on me." Monkey waved a hand. "Once, a human tried to stab me, the knife broke. You really think your tiny little fingers are any match?"
"I'm pretty sure they are yes." he nodded, speaking in a matter-of-fact tone.
"Heh!" he smirked. "Let's test it out shall we."
The young man hit him on the same spots as the thief, but Monkey was still standing. He cackled at his dumbfounded look.
"I am as tough as a mountain made out of metal!" he flexed his arms, puffing his chest.
"You got your arm cut off." (Y/n) said.
He glared at her before looking away, huffing.
"That's only because the only thing that could cut through me is like a power-charged weapon."
At these words, (Y/n) looked at her hand. She had an idea, and her mind was racing over it.
"Where is this school?" she leaned closer to Cheng Liu. "Could you take us there? Please!"
"Uh, what?"