Daisy did not answer.

"We will have to stop him from leaping into action without conducting proper investigation," Kiara said after a stretch of silence.

"Yes. But there is no point talking to him," Daisy answered with a sigh, tired and spent.

"I will be leaving right after the funeral. There are some matters which require my immediate attention." Daisy rubbed Kiara's shoulders and continued, "Our villages bordering Sorraine have been in havoc as of lately. Lots of children are reported to be missing. "

Kiara sat up. "The local administration?"

Daisy shook her head. "Nothing. All of their efforts have proven to be futile up until now."

"Want me to go and rattle some bones?"

"Why would I pass on the golden opportunity to you?" The Countess snorted and Kiara pouted.

"That is an off putting face." She twisted her mouth at her daughter, "Besides, there is something else which you must do on my behalf here."

"I am all ears." Kiara nodded.

"Tomorrow, after the funeral, you will have to go and discuss the situations with Windsor. For all I know, he might be more unreasonable. However, his shoulders— as young as they might be— bear the weight of this Dukedom. He must keep his biases aside and move the investigation forward without any prejudices. We need to convince him. We have to. Before the situation blows out of proportion."

"Consider it done. Will that be enough to stop father?"

"Not in the slightest. He will employ different means. But once Windsor is on our side, this will buy us some time. I am sure I can talk him out of this stupidity."

--------------

A single glance. That was all it took for Daisy to break down into sobs and cries.

Kiara sucked in her lips to leash in the whimper threatening to break loose out of her lips. Her eyes served a blurred vision of her mother on her knees beside the wooden box containing her beloved friend.

She looked down and tears spilled out of her eyes. She quickly wiped them. Putting a hand on her mother's heaving shoulder, she braved a look at the cadaver and flinched.

Her beloved uncle, her ever so lively guardian— he had been mauled beyond recognition. His pale skin, dipped in medicinal oils to prevent from rotting, was merely put together. His limbs were shredded and detached from the body. He was missing an eye and good part of his nose.

Fury pumped her veins in place of blood. She clenched her jaw and looked away. Her eyes met her father's.

No wonder he is murderous.

Far away in the corner, Count Matthew Douglas stood. His face shadowed and expressions lacking but she could see his tormented soul and shattered heart.

Funeral proceeded shortly. Other Counts and Countesses, along with their family, planted themselves in a semi circle while the saints chanted and offered sacred prayers to Goddess Rik on the raised altar. The Douglas family sat beside the Duke, along with few Marquesses and Marchionesses, at the front of the altar.

There were not many guests from the other dukedoms, most of them visited the Late Duke's abode in the capital where his body was kept for the final visits for the commoners of Rotheward as well as guests of other dukedoms.

Windsor Louise stood through the whole process with a sombre mask of determination, his blood red eyes zeroed to his father's body. Lady Kiara saw it from where she sat. However, when the saintess declared the body to be pious enough to return to the earth, a crack appeared in his facade. Kiara clenched her fist and gripped the arm rest of her chair to get up and reach out to him. But soon she found his hand being grasped by another pale palm.