Not. Even. Close.

Beginne am Anfang

"Well you two clearly have great on and off track chemistry. Anything going on there?" Maeve raised an eyebrow.

"Again? With him? In his dreams." I flicked my hair over my shoulder dramatically and Daniel scoffed again.

"Yeah, my worst nightmares. I don't even know how I ended up your best mate with how you talk to me." A sly laugh came from between my lips as I crossed my arms, leaning my weight on my left leg away from Daniel.

"We're two halves of the same idiot, Daniel. That's why we're best mates." My right arm went over Daniel's shoulders and he just shook his head.

"You called yourself an idiot..." He responded as his left arm went over my shoulders, pulling me closer to him.

"I know my limits, do you?" Daniel stared into my eyes then, something he did on occasion. Every time he did, I could see the dark brown ring around his pupil flare over the top of his sunglasses. It reminded me of a chocolate fountain and it occasionally moved like one as well. The worst part was that it felt like he was staring into my soul each time. He was trying to tear me down piece by piece until I gave in to him. I never could though.

"I have to take you to see Michael." He broke eye contact after what felt like an eternity, but must've only been a second for people not to say something. The moment was gone though and sometimes I wonder if Daniel even knew what had happened. I wondered sometimes if he felt the same, a universal pull that I experienced towards my best friend that I could never break.

"Yes, have a wonderful weekend you two and good luck!" Ted bid us farewell and Daniel was quick to pull me along the paddock lane towards our garage. Or rather skip towards our garage arm in arm, leaving us both a laughing mess as we made our way past a few garages.

Only the playful side of both of us could not resist interrupting a few photos along the way. Starting with some fans taking a photo with Valterri. Daniel had seen them first and nodded to the Mercedes driver and the three people he was taking the photo with. In a split second, we were on either side of the photo subjects with smiles and both of our thumbs up.

"Cheers!" I yelled as Daniel and I sprinted away after hearing the click of the camera. Both of us were cackling as I saw another target. Seb was giving an interview a couple garages down.

"Think we could get him too?" I asked Daniel as I pointed to the man.

"Oh yeah." He nodded as we quietly made the detour to the red poloed driver currently giving an interview to sky sports.

I wasn't familiar with the interviewers like Daniel was. He knew them well enough that when he held up a finger in front of his lips, they didn't say a word as we approached Seb with our hands in our pockets. In a quick motion, I tapped on Seb's right shoulder and then we veered left. It made Seb look to his right, but we were long gone at that point. The only information that we had been there was the laugh we left in our wake before ducking into our own hospitality.

"Oh they're going to hate us by the end of this year." I laughed as we walked up to our driver's rooms.

"Probably, but that's show biz baby." I rolled my eyes at Daniel as I opened the door to what was now my room, but immediately stopped.

"Oh, that's weird...." The door now held a picture of my face, the divisive glare that I had been told to give in the interest of 'looking tough' just yesterday stared back at me as I looked at the door. It was large and definitely hard to miss.

"You'll get used to it." Daniel shoved me into the room and made himself at home on my couch as I put my bag down on the table. The room was completely bare other than the basic necessities. Daniel's room was decorated in things he loved, including a flag from his home country. I wondered if it was worth collecting things to put up.