Why didn't it shift to protect itself?

The sky has transitioned from black to navy, bird songs bouncing off the trees as the night gives way to the rising sun. Jessenia descends first, then Jax sends Coax down, who pales at the thought but pushes on regardless. I can feel her gaze on me, probably wondering who I am, why I don't seem to fit in, but she says nothing. Her gaze is less hostile than Jax's, at least.

Jax gestures for me to go next. I take a shaky breath before descending the ladder, cringing at the way the dried blood cracks in the crevices of my hands as I grip the rungs. Once I reach the bottom, we continue through the narrow halls. But before we can reach Trina's office, Casimir bombards us in the narrow passageway, his eyes searching for mine.

He marches towards us, grabbing my shoulders, raking his eyes across my frame. His expression is blank, but I can read him like a book. The pinched brows, pursed lips—it's the same look he'd give me whenever I skipped class.

He surprises me by pulling me into a bone-crushing hug, burying his face in my hair. "I'm so glad you're okay," he murmurs.

I sink into his hold, the fragile foundation holding me together crumbling the moment Casimir holds me close. My eyes close to keep tears from falling and I grip his shirt, breathing in his scent. Even in his deserter clothes he smells like home.

"Never do that to me again." He pulls away, hands still on my shoulders as he looks past me, expression souring at the sight of Killian. "You—"

"Don't, Cas," I murmur. "Please."

He presses his lips together, still glaring at Killian as the sheet is brushed to the side and Trina steps in. Her grey hair has been pulled backwards, and even though she's Casimir's mother, he pushes me slightly behind him, as if he's afraid she'll hurt me.

I squeeze his hand as she steps closer, mouth in a straight line. I haven't seen my reflection since we returned, but she examines me closely, taking in the blood-stained clothes and hands and whatever marks the shifters left on my body.

"Is it done?"

Killian's voice echoes in my mind, the feel of his calloused fingers against my chin.

"It's done," I say quietly.

There's a beat of silence as she regards me, gaze unwavering as she waits for a crack in my composure. I keep my expression neutral as she looks to Killian, who nods in confirmation. I let out a shaky breath of relief.

Trina nods, keeping her lips pressed in a straight line. "I must say, you've surprised me. I didn't think you had it in you."

Shame burns throughout me. She saw me as weak, and even though she doesn't know it, I've proven her right.

"We should expect retaliation from Tetterman, likely upon the residents of Veymaw," she says, looking to Killian, then Casimir. "Keep an eye out."

Killian offers a curt nod. I find myself staring at him from behind Casimir, noting the way his mood immediately shifts around others. When it's just us, he's more playful, that dimple denting his cheek. But when we're around the other deserters, I barely recognise the stern expression that rests on his face. But whether we're alone or with the deserters, there's one thing that remains constant, and it can't hide behind his charming smiles—he has the ability to be very, very lethal.

"The moon festival is this evening," Casimir says. "The villagers will be more vulnerable."

"I'll be sure to station spotters around the village perimeter, just in case," Trina promises.

I'd forgotten about the moon festival. The entire village gathers in the marketplace, the band plays music. There's dancing, food, social festivities as the sun descends and the moon takes its place, the night before it bleeds red. In the past, it's been an enjoyable evening, a last farewell to the summer and night of fun before the shifters prowl the village the night following.