Chapter 5: Infamous

Start from the beginning

Silco: We? Who is this we? I expect better from you than excuses. It was your job to make sure things went smoothly. And you failed, don't disappoint me again.

???: Move runt!

I was shoved to the side when she went past me. I stuck my tongue out at her under my mask as she left.

Silco: The world's growing smaller every day, thanks to the Hexgates. And now, we're cut off. The topsiders are leaving us further and further behind. What happened?

Jinx: She already told you.

Silco: I'm asking you.

I watched as she fell from the rafters and onto his desk. I haven't met her yet, but her reputation does precede her. The only thing I know about her is that she has blue hair, but I know that there are a few people with blue hair that doesn't mean that she's anyone I know.

Jinx: One of those Firelight wackos was a girl with pink hair.

Y/n: I recognize him, he's the guy that killed Vander. But, wait, is that... Powder. Powder is Jinx? I don't know how to feel about that.

I rubbed my left eye before leaning against the back wall for a moment, watching to make sure she wasn't going to attack me by surprise.

Silco: Your sister's gone. You know that as well as I do.

Jinx: I know. I know. Sisters, right? You can't live with 'em, can't stuff 'em back up the ol' babymaker.

Silco: Today's screw-up will set us back weeks.

Jinx: I'm sorry.

Silco: I need to know that I can rely on you. I'm doing this for us, Jinx. All of us. The sons and daughters of Zaun deserve more than their runoff.

Jinx: It won't happen again.

Silco: I know. Sevika will clean up today's mess.

Jinx: Sevika? That ogre couldn't clean a dust bunny with a blowtorch.

Silco: She'll suffice. You should focus on your gadgetry. Take some time.

Jinx: I don't need time... hey, are you aware that there's a guy standing over there?

Silco: Who? Oh, it's you.

Y/n: Yeah, it's me. What I can I do for you?

Silco: How about you clean up that mess you made?

Y/n: How did you know I was there? Oh right, you must have the Firelight person I took down and disguised myself as down here. Should have figured, I'll get right on it.

Jinx: Him? He's... who is he?

Y/n: Shadow, at your service Milady.

Jinx: Ooh, I like this one.

Silco: He's one of the biggest names in Piltover. Except, no one has actually seen his face or knows his real name. So, naturally, everyone just calls him what he is, a shadow. He has also agreed to be my newest associate.

Y/n: Bingo, but it's not very fun when the name is explained. Anyway, we've never officially met.

Jinx slowly started advancing toward me while my back was turned. I didn't notice until I heard the floorboards creak. I grabbed her arm just as she was about to reach for my mask.

Y/n: I'd rather keep my identity hidden for the moment if you don't mind.

She took a few steps back after my grip was released from her arm. Four years spent in hatred of those who seemed to have abandoned me created a slight redness on her skin that was visible from where I grabbed her.

Neither of us realized how firm my grip was until we saw it. Feeling threatened Jinx slowly turned back around and went into her workshop. I on the other hand turned toward Silco ready to receive my orders.

Silco: Clean up our little mess and we can discuss the terms of your employment.

Y/n: You know, I took the job because I thought this was a legitimate gig. You know, long-term.

Silco: This 'gig' is as long-term as it needs to be.

Y/n: In that case, it sounds perfect. I'll get started on that right now.

I walked out of his office and got pinned against the wall by Sevika. She didn't seem too happy about what she heard about my soon-to-be employment.

Sevika: Are you gunning for my place runt?!

Y/n: No, no, not at all. Just stay out of my way and we'll have no problems.

She set me down and turned with a huff. I brushed myself off and turned to continue with my business. Once outside I hailed a cab to bring me close to the scene. Luckily, I had gotten there before anyone else could.

I began contaminating the crime scene by removing anything that tied Silco's operation to anything that happened here. That was when I noticed Caitlyn sneaking around trying to solve the crime. We've met a few times. I tried to steal some things. Never managed to get them past her though.

Caitlyn: I'll solve this case, anything to prove that I really am capable of stopping Shadow where others can't. It's obvious that he was here, but he's not known for this kind of chaos.

Y/n: You're right about that much...

She whipped around trying to find me. My voice came from everywhere around her, but usually, she manages to find me after about 55 seconds, even with a few new voice modifications. I have to mix it up whenever I expect her arrival.

Caitlyn: Where are you?!

I stayed silent knowing she was trying to triangulate my location. Meanwhile, I was sweeping away bullet shells and painting something new over Jinx's stuff.

Y/n: And why would I tell you?

My voice whispered in her ear causing her to freeze up before jumping away from me and aiming her camera with a flash that was aimed in the opposite direction of my position.

The speaker that I placed on her shoulder earlier made it seem so real. It was nice giving my new device a try, even more, so that it worked better than I expected. After cleaning the place up I went back to Silco to collect my payment.

A few minutes after I got back I found Jinx, she seemed excited about something. Pacing around the room, grabbing her gadgets, and approaching me a few times before deciding against conversation. I got annoyed by the constant pacing back and forth.

Y/n: Is there something I can help with?

Jinx had then explained her whole plan to me, the only reason I agreed was because of Caitlyn and how much this would mess with her. I kind of like to think of her as my archnemesis in a way.

Two Hours Later...

Caitlyn: Fire. Fire!

She called all of the nearby enforcers to a fire that we planned. I set the place ablaze and strung up a few of my speakers while Jinx prepped the place with traps. Now, we just watch the game of Caitlyn Trap.

Y/n: Would you like to do the honors?

Jinx: Gladly.

The speakers activated and Jinx's voice went through my custom modifiers.

Jinx: *modified* Help. In here, please. Help me. Help, it's so hot. Please, I'm trapped. I'm a helpless little girl, and I've set the building on fire.

The modifiers started to deactivate and her own voice started to become more apparent.

Jinx: *semi-modified* By accident. Totally by accident.

Caitlyn: Everyone out now!

I grabbed the microphone from Jinx and began speaking to the enforcers currently trapped in our little game.

Y/n: Also, I brought this dynamite. Goodbye.

Immediately after that, the speakers exploded causing Caitlyn to be wounded in the blast. Wounded, but not killed. I became disappointed by this outcome, but I don't want to be caught this close to their headquarters so I grabbed Jinx's hand and pulled her away from here, and down into Zaun.