Chapter 111: The Last Senju

Start from the beginning

When Naruto was sure the boy had locked his room and was absorbed into the book, he turned to Shizune, who brought him snacks. The Hokage's assistant spoke, "The boy seems to get better in adjusting here, but he's always lively around you."

Naruto tilted his head, "I've already told you what type of kid he is. It's not surprising that he isn't adjusting fast. But his progress to do so surely is faster than I thought."

Shizune nodded, "Must be the dormant Shinobi blood waking up."

Naruto hummed, "Yes, well, I did want to keep him with me, but you know how my life is. Also, Tsunade is his only living relative in Konoha."

That would also make him a relative of Seiichi, Naruto knew, but his lineage from Tobirama is something no one alive knew, other than Kurama and himself.

"But he is a child as of now, and children adapt easier than adults. Civilian families do coddle their children while raising them right as well. It's only natural he would miss his home at the Capital."

Shizune asked, "But you did suggest the head of his family to send him here. Why?"

Naruto mildly shrugged, "Something his grandfather said about his skills. The Senju blood is stronger in him than in the other members of his family."

Naruto finished his cup of tea and snacks as he stood up, wishing Shizune a good day ahead, and walked out of the Senju Compound to the ANBU Head Quarters. He could remember the day he met Seiichi.

...

More Than Two Years Ago:

Naruto had dealt with yet another wanna-be-rebel faction against the unification of shinobi world, the leader of which was a member of the Court of the Daimyo of Hi no Kuni.

The mission was over a week before the intended time. And there was nothing else to do till then. Naruto was introduced formally to the Courtiers and came across one Vashti Mamoru.

Mamoru was one the few courtiers the Daimyo always listened to. He had been particularly helpful in ridding the Daimyo's court of traitors time and again. 

Remembering the story of the Senju-Vashti clan, Naruto accepted his offer to visit Mamoru's home.

The Vashti compound had bits of Senju here and there in the way the clan followed traditions their beliefs. The children were taught the most basic Katas for a year or two before they followed the life of civilians, though no one knew why that Art was being taught.

The Vashti didn't know that some of their customs were just modified versions of the Senju ones. Naruto didn't bother to point it out those he suspected didn't even know of their heritage.

It was only confirmed when Mamoru introduced the blonde the the oldest member of the Clan, a man around the age of Sarutobi Hiruzen. Vashti Shigure was the brother-in-law of Senju Taishiro through the marriage of the latter's daughter into the Vashti clan, which was in small numbers then.

Shigure respected Taishiro's wish to keep their Senju legacy a secret even from the clan members. Only when a clan head would pass on the mantle to become an elder himself, or when the elder passes (whichever comes first) will the secret be confided only and only to that Clan Head, who would do the same later.

So not even the then clan head, the grandson son of Shigure and Mamoru's older brother, knew of this. Not even their father, who had died of a heart disease long before it was his time, when his sons were barely crossed their teens.

Naruto didn't reveal his own Senju lineage, but who doesn't know the Uzumaki and 'his' feats?

Shigure then introduced Naruto to Mamoru's youngest child, a quiet boy, who was more interested in research and shinobi arts than his peers. The shinobi blood seemed to have been stronger in this kid, and curbing it would only be harmful not only for the child, but also for those around him.