𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑒

Start from the beginning

I smile at her, but at the same time, I feel sorry for her. But I continue with my plan, "Is Dad here? I would like to speak to him." Marsha widen her eyes and let me come in.

"I'll tell Edward you're here. Make yourself at home."

Once she left me I make myself at home in the backyard. Their backyard is wider. It Is wider than my house. I remember me reading the book rather than talking to Cali, not being friends with her. I was so terrified, counting the minutes until the curfew ended. I forget the chills in my arms and stand up before me as the calming breeze blows my fears away. "Well, this is unexpected..." I turn to the person and indeed it is Edward. With usual smug face with his smile.

"Well I thought by coming here, I would either get burned or hang from the branch of your tree." Edward laughs at my sore joke, an instant flashback of him laughing while I'm crying. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "I would like to inform you that I would like my family to come to my home for Christmas if it won't change your plans of visiting them."

"Not at all, Dahlia. I think it is suitable for fathers to spend the holidays with their family..."

"Like last year?" I distinctly remember my family choosing not to visit him after the news of his affair and how my mother was heartbroken. Nothing more heartbroken when she found out that Leo kept his secret for his father. "What I "unexpectedly" came here is that I have news to share." Edward nods, awaiting my news, while his hands are in his pockets. They should be... "I am engaged with Benjamin."

Edward gives me an unreadable reaction and bluntly responds, "Well it's obvious why he wants to marry you." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, and curious what excuse for him to infer my relationship with Benjamin. "For your money."

I laugh helplessly while I'm snorting at the irony here. "Wow...That's a better response I expect from you. Good for you! Congratulations! Keep up the good work!"

"This isn't funny, Dahlia."

"It is for me... Look, I wanna share this news with you before anyone tells you the worst, then I'm leaving here. According to my plan. No fights or arguments."

"Why you said yes, that's a bit I can't fathom." I scoff at his remark. "Remind me, is it three or four months since the divorce came through? Quite convenient." I look at him, why is he doing this to me? How dare he, using Mom in this conversion. "Well, let me see the ring then."

I cross my arms, not giving him my power with his childish manners. "Come on, don't be shy. I'm sure it's quite a rock he got you. I spent three months' salary on your mother's and you, my dear, are far greater. I know Benjamin's basically still in school, but for occasions like this, I'm sure he pushed the boat out."

"You really are a bastard."

"Say the woman who is marrying one for your finances..." He grabs my left hand, harshly, out of my crossed arms. He laugh, "Poor you, Dahlia... what a cheapskate rock you have, you should be embarrassed by his choice for you."

I pull my hand away from him, "As I said according to my plan, I didn't ask for your blessing. I want to inform you. Which I've done, I'm gonna go."

I begin to walk away, but he stops me. "I'm trying to help you, Dahlia, believe it or not as your father. You spend hard work on your career and your lifestyle with your money. I just don't want you to make the wrong choice."

I widen my eyes and turn to him, "Like you compel me to!?!"

"Ah! There it is. What this is really all about. You getting revenge on me."

I laugh sarcastically, "Are you kidding me?!?"

"It would be a lot easier and a lot cheaper if you'd just admit, you're still thinking about it. About us. Let me ask you this, Dahlia, do you think of me while you're fucking Benjamin?"