"You love me?" Grace faltered with budding hope.

Arthur bent down and kissed the little girl's forehead. "Very much," he answered.

A sudden warm blush rose to her cheeks. As she looked up at his gentle smile, her fears began to melt away. Yes, love; it was what made Arthur's eyes shine as he met her gaze. It was what made his arms hold her so closely, as if he would never let go.

"Let me tell you what I think of you, sister," he said with a fond smile. "I think that you are beautiful, and that you are good. I think that you are talented, and clever, and that you are the image of our mother."

Gracie's eyes started sparkling through her tears, and she laughed happily as all of her pains faded away.

"Now," Arthur went on, changing the subject, "I have a gift for you. I hope you will like it. I bought it for you before I came here, and I am sorry I did not show it to you sooner."

The girl looked surprised as her brother let her go and placed a little object in her arms. It was wrapped in pink satin with ribbons and lace fringing the edges. She cast him a questioning look. Then, with a sunny smile on her face, she let out a childish giggle and unwrapped her present. Beneath the silky fabric, she found a china-faced doll that was more beautiful than any doll she had ever seen. She gasped in delight and clasped the pretty thing to her heart. "Oh, Arthur!" she exclaimed breathlessly. "Is she really mine? May I have her? May I..." she hesitated, looking nervous and afraid to hope, "may I play with her?"

Arthur laughed happily. "I hope you do!" he answered. "I would be rather sorry if you did not!"

"But...Auntie says that I am too old to play," the girl noted, holding her doll tighter.

Arthur looked perplexed. Then he laughed and swung his arm around his sister's shoulders. "I would not mind everything that Aunt Amelia says, if I were you," he advised lightheartedly. "To me, you are just a little girl, and you shall do just what a little girl likes to do."

Grace sighed in joyful relief and leaned close to her brother as they walked down to the seaside. Her brother sheltered her from the wind with his own coat and, together, neither one of them felt the cold breeze.

"Now, tell me, sister," Arthur began cheerfully, "when we go to London, what will you enjoy the most?"

The girl hesitated. "I will enjoy being with you," she answered, unable to hide the disappointment in her voice.

"I am glad of that! But will you enjoy nothing else?" her brother asked.

Gracie looked up at him humbly. "May I tell you the truth, Arthur?" she asked. "I don't like London. The streets are so busy, and there is so much noise that it makes my head ache just thinking about it. Besides that..." She paused again, wondering if it was very naughty of her to confess everything.

"What is it, Gracie?" Arthur urged.

"There is still so much to do here. I like it here at Netherstrand! And I have not been in a boat, or seen many of the shops, or even taken many walks on the sand since we arrived. And then, there is the treasure!" she added, starting to glow with excitement. "Have you heard of it, Arthur? Oh, it is such a beautiful story! And I have been searching for it all this time with a boy named Timothy!"

The girl chattered on, growing more confident all the time as her brother listened and commented with the most pleasant smile. By the time they turned around and headed back to Netherstrand, she was hanging onto his arm fearlessly, clinging to him as her most beloved possession and one of her dearest friends.

When they reached their uncle's suite again, they found Amelia and Preston packing their things very busily.

"Ah, Arthur!" Mrs. Carlyle exclaimed with a teasing sort of smile. "I see you have retrieved our little truant! Grace, dear, you must hurry to do your lessons and spend the rest of your time packing to leave. After thinking about it, your uncle and I have decided that we will leave early tomorrow morning."