"Focus more on the target," I said in a hushed tone, so as not to disturb our prey. "Less on the weapon. You're leaning into the bowstring a bit much." He allowed me to tug him back, a decent distance from the bow.

Since he seemed to be fine with my instruction so far, I traced my fingers under his chin, which was bent a little too close to his chest. I felt his warm breath tickle my fingers, the texture of his rough stubble.

His eyes swept to the side, toward me.

"Eyes ahead, Arthur," I admonished and guided his head up a bit with a gentle nudge.

"Mhm." He cleared his throat, focusing on the elk.

"You got the string centered with the bow, that's good," I observed. "Now, just relax your shoulders. You're still a little tense." I squeezed for emphasis and he exhaled. "Don't have them raised so much. Nice and low, that's the way I learned."

I felt around his shoulder blades, until I was satisfied with how they'd loosened, and slid my palm to his back–another part of Arthur utterly corded in muscle.

"Draw that string back." With hand on his back, I brushed my fingers along his arm, tapping the inside of his wrist. His pulse was quite fast, likely from the exhilaration of the hunt. "Make sure your wrist is straight."

In observing his form, I'd moved closer. My nose would've brushed the defined line of his jaw if I turned my head directly toward him.

"How's this?" I could practically feel the vibrations of his gruff voice in our proximity.

"Looks good. Make use of your back here," I tapped him, "to get right to full draw. You just about have it." I felt his muscles contracting beneath my fingertips and my mind went hazy for a moment.

"Are you–" I'd turned my head to ask if he was ready, but he turned his at the same time. Our eyes locked, noses nearly brushing. My gaze slipped down the slope of his nose to his lips, which were parted in a small inhale.

He blinked, then resumed his focus on the elk. What was in the air in this forest that had me fumbling on every action like a woman who was just discovering the world and its charming men?

"I'm ready," he answered the question I hadn't finished asking.

"Alright, hold it like that..." I eyed the elk, which had momentarily lifted its head. "And shoot."

The arrow soared through the air, piercing masterfully through the head of the elk. I grinned, proud that my instruction had been sufficient.

"Look at that," Arthur said in awe. "She's down."

"You are quite the archer."

"Ah, only 'cause you're quite the teacher."

After harvesting what we could from the elk and laying the pelt across Wilbur, Arthur insisted I take the lead on acquiring a small deer to add to our supply. We scouted, I hunted, and eventually, the sun was getting low. We briefly considered that it'd be wise to make the lengthy ride back soon, but I'd remembered that Pearson was running low on fruit and Arthur knew where to find some berries.

Then, before we knew it, night had fallen over us.

"This forest is a lot scarier at night," I observed warily. "Any ghosts around?"