Deleted Excerpt: Daughter of Roses

Originally took place in Chapter 27: Calm Before the Storm—after events in Council Hall and before wedding scene

Ember and the rest of the New York Shadowhunters walked out of the Council Hall in silence. A mingled sense of relief and doom surrounded them, Ember most of all. The truth was out. There was no going back. The entirety of the Shadow World now knew the blood of the Fair Folk ran through her veins, that Jace and Jaakobah were bound by blood, and it was more than clear that despite his best efforts, Jonathan was still very much hated among the community, though that was never much of a secret. It was a tiring day—physically, mentally, emotionally—and it was only midday.

Ember sighed and squared her shoulders, pointedly ignoring the dirty, hateful looks thrown her way and whispered insults from the passersby. Isabelle squeezed her hand and glared daggers at them. She was already spinning on her heel when Ember stopped her.

"No," she whispered, pulling her along. "Don't."

"But—"

"I said no, Izzy," she repeated. "It would only make it worse."

"Assholes," her parabatai grumbled under her breath. Ember shook her head, a thin smile making its way to her lips.

Her mind was playing over and over what had happened inside the Hall. Jia's decision—while it was the right thing to do—the merciful thing—Ember couldn't help but think she would pay for it later in one way or another.

"Ember Fairose!"

She and Isabelle whirled around upon hearing her name and found a woman jogging to her. She had deep tan skin, dark brown eyes the color of coffee, and long black hair. She wore gear, and her Marks were applied neatly on her skin.

"Hello," Ember said, unsure of what else to say, and frankly, wary.

The woman gave her a small smile that made Ember relax slightly. She didn't mean harm; she was friendly. "I would just like you to know—we don't all think that way. We don't all hate the Fair Folk. We don't see you as a traitor. We know all that you've done for us in this battle. We're grateful, and we remember that you're Raziel's Chosen." Her voice held a rich, noticeable cadence that made Ember's own ears perk in recognition. It sounded much like her grandmother's own accented English had been. "My family and I, we are on your side. So are many others, though they do not say it."

"Thank you. Truly," Ember responded. "You are from Mexico, aren't you? Forgive me—your accent, I recognize it."

The woman nodded. "I am head of the Mexico City Institute." Something silver glinted on her finger, and Ember caught sight of an unmistakable pattern of roses creeping along the band of her ring. Her eyes widened in recognition.

"I am Carmen Rosales Delgado," she continued, confirming Ember's suspicions. "Para servirle."

"Es un honor," Ember returned, this time with a delighted smile of her own. Carmen's eyes widened upon hearing her flawless pronunciation, and Ember continued in her mother tongue, "It's not often I get to speak my language with anybody. It's nice to meet someone with whom I can." She gestured to Izzy, who was still standing beside her. "This is Isabelle Lightwood. My parabatai."

"We've all heard of you—one of the Dark War's heroes," Carmen said in English as she turned to look at Izzy. "It's an honor to finally meet you."

"You too," Izzy responded. "It's nice to know there are still decent, kind-hearted people out here. Not just self-righteous bigots."

"I'm just someone who tries to stand for what's right." Carmen smiled, amusement sparking in her dark eyes. "I must get back, but I would like you to know you all will always have a place at our Institute, should you need it." She turned to leave, a polite smile on her face.