Chapter 28: The Battle of Brocelind Plain

Alicante was in chaos.

Ember and the rest of the New York Shadowhunters rushed into the city as fast as they could. They were all geared and armed to the teeth, but the sight they found waiting for them brought them to a halt.

Demons were running free and rampant through the streets. The Nephilim were fighting them off with the help of the wolves and the vampires, but both sides were already suffering losses. The creatures were a handful compared to the legion waiting outside, but even so, they were enough to inflict sufficient damage and lower the number of those fighting for the city.

"Impossible," Ember whispered as she took in the sight. She forced her legs to move, and she and the others pushed forward, their weapons drawn and ready. "The wards are impenetrable. We made sure of it. How did they break through?"

A Deumas fell upon them almost instantly, and she heard the sound of one of Alec's arrows whizz past her. It sank deep into one of the demon's eye sockets. They didn't even pause to make sure it was dead; there was no time, and one moment later they heard the unmistakable sound of its body exploding into bits of ichor and goo.

"Thanks!" Ember shouted over her shoulder.

The scent of terror filled the air, but everyone was in action. The Consul had given the orders the night before while the demon towers glowed blue. Everyone knew the plan. They all knew where they were heading; everyone knew their place.

Shadowhunter mothers were running from the monsters chasing them with squalling, frightened children in their arms. Those that decided to fight had left their young to the care of their older children or an elderly friend or relative. They were all headed to the Gard to seek refuge. All those that could wore gear, and they had some kind of weapon to defend themselves and the others in case their defenses were penetrated. Katherine joined them, as did the rest of the pregnant women. She had separated from the group as soon as they reached the city. Ember had pressed a knife into her hand. No words were required. Katherine nodded once and ran as fast as her legs could carry her, her pale golden hair and the black cloak she was wearing blowing behind her.

"Look over there!"

Ember followed the direction in which Simon pointed and saw a fire rising in the distance. It was spreading, and it didn't help that the wind had finally come to life and was blowing to the north, pushing the flames forward from the eastern edge of the city towards the heart of it. A fire brigade had already been dispatched to combat it, but the flames were too quick and burned too hot.

"It's demon fire!" Magnus said above the noise, confirming her suspicions. "They won't be able to put it out easily."

"Come on!"

They made their way through the crowds, and as a group, cut down as many stray demons that attempted to block their path.

They found the Consul in the Angel Square with a few of her guards. Ember had never seen Jia wearing Shadowhunting gear, and for a moment, all she could do was blink in shock.

"Ember!" Jia approached her. "How did this happen?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing," she panted. Espina's blade was already dripping with ichor, and the heat of the fire and her own activity already had her sweating. "What happened?"

"The wards are down. The armory was set aflame. We don't know who did it."

"Take a wild guess," Isabelle said, lashing at a Cerberus demon that hopped up behind them with her whip. Simon was helping her weaken it with a seraph blade of his own. Rowan's spear cut through the air with deadly precision into what seemed like the monster's heart. The frog-like creature fell with an agonized screech. The faerie twisted the spear with savage grace and pulled it free in one smooth movement, and the monster's cries fell silent.