~26~ taegan

~taegan pov~

It's getting darker earlier now with the time change. It's getting a little dark for my comfort to be out by myself. I have to remember that tomorrow when I walk Vegas.

Celeste is at home with George. She isn't ready to start going on walks after surgery yet but should be in the next week or so. Until then it's just me and Vegas.

He pushes and pulls the leash as we make our way down the sidewalk. He tugs me to a tree to the right of the sidewalk. I laugh but let him do so. He always wants to smell every bush we pass. I know we won't walk as far today, so we can waste some time by a tree.

An obnoxious honking sound from down the road draws nearer. I roll my eyes at whatever idiot is making it's way down the street. Curiosity gets the better of me, and I take a single step out from behind the tree. Vegas pulls me back a bit, but I laugh as I retaliate by taking one more step out.

I glance away from the dog to see a bright light shine directly into my eyes as it swerves down the street.

Before I know it the wind is in my hair. Glass shards fall around me as they catch light in a beautiful rain. For a moment I am almost in awe.

Until my body hits something. Hard.

My head pounds.. And it pounds.. And pounds..

What is going on?

I think I bit my tongue as the taste of copper fills my mouth. A sharp pain surges through the right side of my body. I can hear shouting.

"Miss?" a voice says. It sounds far away and muffled.

"I'm calling the-"

I attempt to push my body up but fail. I must've dropped the leash. I try to reach for it to make sure Vegas is still there. My hand flops to the side and hits something wet on the concrete surrounding me.

I try to force myself to open my eyes. Everything is a blurry whir of color around me.

My hand is red. Is this blood?

A blurry figure stumbles into view.

"Miss?" the far away voice says again, "Miss? I am so sorry. I am- I am so so sorry."

I smell alcohol now. The smell of liquor surrounds me like a deathly gas. I scrunch my nose a bit.

My head continues to pound.

It's harder to breathe. I try to focus on the air going in and out of my lungs, but something isn't letting me.

Where's Vegas? What is going on?

I hear a loud noise all around me. It shakes my bones, and it hurts. Every bone in my body feels rattled out of place. I cough and something comes up with it. Gross. Did I just throw up?

My body is heavy as I sink into the pain. The agony overwhelms me. I want to scream out, but can't muster the pain to do so.

It pounds.. And it pounds.. And pounds.

Multiple figures are surrounding me. Far away voices speak that I am sure belong to the blurry figures. They aren't that far away are they?

"Oh dear God, please be okay."

"Drunk-"

"Are they getting the boyfriend?".

"Not her, she's too sweet."

Black dots begin to fill my vision. No, don't take it. Please don't take it.

The images in front of me now don't seem real.

Someone yells for me to open my eyes. I try. I try with all my might just for them, but it makes my brain hurt even more.

My whole body aches.

Something pounds.. And it pounds.. And pounds...

I give into the pain. I let it take over my body. It courses through my bloodstream, making sure to touch every bit of my body.

The images flash in front of me again, ones that I now realize have already happened.

Memories.

Something pounds through my whole body.. Karl dances after making a trick shot into a trash can.

Something pounds....Clay smiles at me after throwing an insult my way.

And it pounds... George rolls his eyes at me after I say something stupid.

And pounds... Alex drives down the road one late night.

Pounds... Nick opens the door for me as we go on a date.

An image of a city flashes through my mind. Thousands of stars shine above it and the neon lights. I know the exact spot my brain is showing me. The rock. I remember the first time we ever saw that as a group. The feral boys plus Taegan.

"Don't be losers," I tell the boys as I climb onto the rock. "Come on, guys. Enjoy life."

"It seems like you might hurt yourself," Dream shakes his head, taking a cautious step forward.

"I'm just living a little." I shrug. "All we have is now anyways."

All we have is now... Well right now I feel numb. The sudden sharp pains up the side of my body have disappeared. The pain is a distant, foggy memory. How long ago was that?

Images of memories continue to flash. I smile to myself as I think of all the good times. I'm glad I lived each and every one of those at the moment.

It pounds... And it pounds.. And pounds...

The city's lights flash on and off, leaving only the stars.

Everything is suddenly dark and the silence envelopes me completely. The only sound is the pounding of my heart. It fights with all it's might, although it seems to slow down just a tad.

It pounds.. And it pounds... And pounds...

And then it was silent.