~23~ waiting

~starting in part two there will be a lot of memories. these will be in complete italics to signal that they're in the past~

The doctor said surgery would be needed in order to get the tumor out of her intestines.

"It's considered a massive tumor," he says.

All the color drains from my face, if there even is color left in it at all.

"Oh gosh," Nick whispers.

"It's actually the best kind," the doctor adds quickly after seeing our horror, "It's all contained in one spot, and we can get it out in no time."

We agree to the surgery immediately. They said it will be over in a few hours, and that we could once again wait outside.

I sit next to Nick, staring at a ceiling tile of the waiting room. It has a brown spot of water damage on it. I wonder if they know it's there and are letting it continue to drip during the rain, or if they have no clue because they're always so busy. From the looks of the empty waiting room, it would not be the latter.

I lean my head onto Nick's shoulder. He types on his phone something that seems important. I don't really look because I don't really care. I just stare off into space and remember better times...

~ ~ ~

"I want to go to Vegas," Nick said as we walked down the sidewalk of the little shopping center. In the center of all the stores was a grassy area with white tents lined up.

"Clay said we would do an SMP meet up there once he face reveals, but I want to go sooner than that." Nick continued to talk.

"That sounds fun," I smile up at him, "Who would you take?"

"Hm," he hummed as he looked to the white clouds, "I think I would take someone worthy of adventure. Maybe someone who thinks I'm an okay guy."

I glanced up as he talked, seeing what lies beneath the white tents.

"Maybe someone that looks a bit like you?"

I gasped. Not at Nick, but at something equally as good.

Nick doesn't see them yet. "Taegan? Would you want to go to Vegas with me?"

"Puppies," I started to walk towards them like a robot.

Piled on top of multi-colored blankets are so many puppies, all ready for adoption. Kids play around with them and pass them back and forth. I heard begging all around me. All for the puppies. I take a look to the right and see two little Border Collies.

They're older than the puppies but not by two much. They have to be about a year or two. They seem to be very well trained and very excited.

"All these puppies, you make a beeline for the older ones," Nick chuckled.

"They're all alone, Nick," I said, petting the much calmer one on the head. I notice she has a pink collar on. Nick scratches the other behind the ear and receives a lick in return.

"I see that," he said, glancing around at the other crowded tents. Ours only has us and the dogs.

"They need to be saved," I pull on his sleeve, "We have to save them."

He sucked in a breath through his teeth. "I don't know how Clay will feel about that, with Patches and all."

"They can live in my house until further notice. He'll love them so much that he'll want them over all the time." I said.