Chapter 5

Inferno saw the clear liquid-like magic wall and noticed the green rainforest behind it. "Here we go," he mumbled, closing his yellow eyes. He and Aquarius flew through the border, the magic sending a cold chill down his spine. The air around him was immediately humid and muggy, not like the warm and sunny feeling in the Jade Kingdom. We're in the Saphire Kingdom, he thought.

Birds' calls filled the air and he saw spider monkeys swing on branches. Below him, a river flowed toward a waterfall that led to the Diamond Sea.
"How do you think we're supposed to find Prince Maroon in there?" Aquarius roared.
Inferno gulped. "Look?" Truth was, he had no idea how they were supposed to find him if he was here at all.

On the other side of the river was a village.
"Well, there's a market," Aquarius said. "I wonder if they have any fish."
The two dragons landed, folding their wings. "Let's ask around. See if anyone has seen Prince Maroon," Inferno said.
Aquarius moved to a stand selling bananas. "Bananas, huh? Are there any fish? Catfish? Blueberries?"

"Swords! Get your swords! Defend yourself against the Jade, Ruby, and Diamond Kingdoms!"
Inferno shook his head, his wings trembling. He spotted a hatchling about the age of three begging his father to buy him a harpy eagle. The bird itself was in a cage made of vines.

"Aqua!" he hissed, unfolding his wings. "Stop playing. We're here to find Prince Maroon."
"Did you say Prince Maroon? Of the Jade Kingdom?" someone asked.
Inferno looked at the white dragon. "Who are you?"
"I'm Appleseed," the female replied.

"Yes, Aquarius and I are looking for Prince Maroon. Do you know where he is?"
Appleseed glanced around then jerked her head toward the rainforest behind her. "Aquarius!"
The blue dragon scampered over. "Coming!"

★ ★ ★

The rainforest was green and colorful. Plants of all kinds were surrounding them, and Inferno snagged his wings on some hanging vines. He pulled at them, trying to free his wings.
"Here." Appleseed untangled the fire dragon's wings.
"Thanks," Inferno twitched his tail.

Aquarius tilted her head. "Why didn't you just use your fire?"
"And burn the whole forest?" Inferno asked.
"Ah..."
Inferno flexed his red wings and glanced around. He saw a sloth hanging on a tree trunk and a butterfly flying by.

The crunch of leaves and grass suddenly came to a stop as he stepped in mud. The wet squishy mix of dirt and water made him flinch. "Ew..." he said, pulling his talon out of the mud and flicking it.
"Mud!" Aquarius gasped, throwing herself into a big mud wallow.
"Aqua, caref-!" Inferno cut off as he got caked in mud, the wet liquid-y substance splashing his face and most of his body.

Appleseed put her talon to her mouth, holding back laughs.
The fire dragon wiped the mud from his eyes, then snarled at his friend. "Aqua!" he roared. "Stop playing!"
The once blue dragon pulled herself out of the mud. "Fine..."
"You can come back and roll in mud later."

Inferno shook his wings, mud flying everywhere.
Appleseed jumped out of the way. "Watch it!" she growled.
"Sorry." Inferno blinked. He walked to the edge of the river and splashed water on his face, scrubbing the dirt off. He grabbed something heavy and wiped his snout.

"Uh... Inferno?" Aquarius breathed.
The male dragon paused. "What?" he snapped. He looked at what he was holding. Greenish blue and grey scales covered it and everyone heard a low grunt.

"G-g-g..." Appleseed mumbled.
The beast whipped around in a heartbeat and snapped its powerful jaws at the fire dragon. "Alligator!" Inferno shot into the air, barely missing the creature's teeth. Aquarius and Appleseed joined him.

"What in the Four Kingdoms!?" Inferno screeched. "Was that thing there the whole time?"
Appleseed nodded. "Yep," the white dragon answered.
Inferno clutched his heart with his talon, trying to calm down. "Which way?" Appleseed looped around and flew deeper into the rainforest. Aquarius and Inferno followed.

★ ★ ★

Ugh! How much longer are we going to stay in this rainforest? Inferno thought. Can't we find Prince Maroon and get out of here?

At that moment, he spotted a cage in the air, made from thick vines. A pale red animal sat inside, cowering in fear and boredom. Inferno would have thought it was a monkey of some kind until something shiny caught his eye. Flying up to the cage, he got a better view of the creature. It was a dragon with sky blue eyes and a swirl pattern under his wings.

Atop his head was a golden crown with three points. At last, they had found the prince!