Chapter 2

A furious roar sliced the air like a sword. Inferno and Aquarius froze for a second before turning their attention to who made that cry. An army of white dragons with armor and swords was flying at full speed toward them...

Inferno felt his blood boil under his scales. His ears were pinned against his head, and he could feel the fire build up in his throat. "Shard!" He and Aquarius spread their wings, launching themselves into the blue sky. Inferno glanced at the female dragon. "Aqua, keep Shard and his army busy!"

The water dragon nodded. "You got it!" She tilted her wings, looping around toward the fight. Inferno slowed down to land and quickly walked to his chamber of molten lava. Taking the satchel off, he set it down in the corner and rushed to the exit.

★ ★ ★

A female dragon curled her tail around her hatchling. Her eyes wide with fear, she took a step back. A soldier stood before her, jaws parted in a toothy grin. He raised a sword, long, and pointed at the tip. The female dragon screamed.

As the sword was about to pierce the dragon's scales, a vine curled itself around the blade and yanked it away. Inferno, Aquarius, Tempest, and Blade hovered, eyes narrowed and ears pushed back.
The fire dragon landed on the ground with a thud, spreading his red wings to their full length. "Stand down, Shard!"

Another dragon looked over at the four, a somewhat shocked look on his face. "The Elements!? What are you doing? You're completely outnumbered here! Are you nuts?"
"Depends," Tempest remarked.

Shard rolled his eyes. Spreading his wings in the air, soft glows of light displayed, and swords shot out of them. The Elements shot into the air, dodging the blades. Inferno gazed at his friends. "Okay. Aqua and Tempest, you deal with Shard's army. Blade, you're with me."

The female dragons smiled and glided toward the fight. Inferno and Blade tailed them. Aquarius opened her mouth and spit a blast of water at one of Shard's soldiers. Tempest hovered and gave a huge flap of her purple wings. The soldier shivered and dropped his sword.

Blade extended his talon and a green vine rose from it. He thrust his talon toward Shard. The vine followed its master's command, wrapping around the metal dragon. Shard growled, trying to extend his wings. Inferno flew to the captured dragon and bit his scales.

Inferno instantly recoiled, putting his talon to his jaw. Oh, right! Metal dragons have scales made of actual metal... Would have been useful to know sooner! Shard bit through the vines that held him and slapped the red dragon with his tail. Inferno felt air push against him as he got slapped away.

Inferno felt hard rock under him as he tumbled to the ground, wings flailing. The sound of pebbles rolling filled his ears for a second before he opened his yellow eyes.
"Inferno!" Blade roared. "Look out!"
Inferno looked up to see a sword coming straight for him.

Closing his eyes, he opened his jaws and shot flames out of his mouth. The dagger melted and fell to the ground. Shard growled, snorting. Blade made vines spring up from the earth and tangle around the metal dragon's legs. Inferno spread his wings and launched himself into the sky.

Tempest sped past, one of the soldiers on her tail. Turning around, the wind dragon gave a flap of her wings, sending the dragon backward.
Inferno grinned. "Nice Tempest!"
"Thanks!"

The fire dragon opened his mouth and blew flames at the vines. The fire clung to the plant, slowly eating it. Shard wailed, the fire burning his scales. He thrashed around, trying to get out of the trap. A dragon cut through the vines with a sword.

Inferno snarled, his ears pinned against his head. "Leave!"
Shard put his talon to his chin. "Hmm, no." Flicking his tail, more daggers appeared and flew at him.
"Inferno, look out!" The warning was too late. The red dragon felt stinging on his foreleg and roared.

Inferno looked at his foreleg, red liquid draining out. Clasping the wound, he fought back a hiss of pain. "Aqua!" the fire dragon ordered. "Blast water at Shard's army. Tempest! Blade! Help her." Ignoring his wound, he spread his wings and launched himself into the sky adding "I'm going after Shard!"

He flew as fast as he could toward the metal dragon and blew fire at him. Shard hissed, flicking his ear and summoning a shield. Inferno paused for a second before he opened his mouth again and breathed more fire. Shard growled, turning tail and fleeing. "You haven't seen the last of me!" Aquarius, Tempest, and Blade joined Inferno, landing beside him.

"Good riddance," Tempest spat, watching some of Shard's soldiers fly away.
Blade turned to his friends. "Does that dragon ever give up?"
"That doesn't matter right now," Aquarius said. "Inferno, we need to get you to the healers'."

The red dragon realized his wound was still stinging and winced when Aquarius gently put her talon on his foreleg. "I'm fine," he lied.
The female dragon narrowed her yellow eyes. "You're bleeding," she pointed out. "We're taking you to the healers'."

"We are?" Tempest's remark got herself a slap from Blade.
"You bet your scales we are."
Inferno softly grinned and realized Aquarius was still touching him. He stayed as still as possible. "Thanks, guys." The four started walking off toward the village.