chapter ten: shaken up

Start from the beginning

This place only felt like a temporary home.

When you approached his apartment number, you noted a small plant resting between two doors. Before your legs decided to run the other way, you pressed the lit-up button beside the door frame. As you questioned your outfit choice, you exhaled a shaky breath, looking around as you waited. You worked overtime, trying your best to hear any sort of sign of life behind this door.

Chewing on your lip, you started to hear a few thumps and bangs in what you imagined was the kitchen. Next, you heard footsteps approaching the door. That's when you could have sworn your heart stopped...

His steps seemed to pause at the door before it swung open, revealing the six-foot-something staring down at you. You watched as he lifted his hand, brushing his fingers through his dark waves.

"Hi." You cooed quietly, your fingers fiddling with the material of your dress. That's when you noticed Charlie's eyes roaming over your body, making note of the dress that fell perfectly around your curves. His mind was preoccupied until his eyes met yours again, shaking himself out of whatever thought was just running through his head.

"Come in." He quickly stepped to the side. You nodded your head, gliding past him. You felt heavy under his stare, holding your breath as your fingers grazed against him.

It was hard to believe you were actually stepping foot into his place. Who would have thought you would be here, in your professor's home? With this thought, a sense of anxiety was starting to creep low in your belly, making you take a quick look around.

In front of you, there was a light tan couch with a couple of decorative pillows lying across it. Hung against the wall, a few pieces of art were framed. Noticing the messy lines of what seemed like crayons, you figured they were drawn by Charlie's son.

"Can I take your coat?" Charlie's quiet mumble caused you to turn in his direction, nodding your head. You set your bag against the couch, peeling off your denim jacket. You could feel the slight cool of the air conditioning hit against your skin, handing it over to Charlie.

You kept your eyes on him until he went out of sight, giving you a chance to finish scouting out the living room.

In front of the couch was a glass coffee table, a variety of newspapers and children's books placed across it. A cushioned chair sat in the corner, a couple of plants on either side of it. Besides the plant was a small shelf, a record player, and a stack of records parked beside it.

The desperation to get to know him better was your driving factor to walk over and get a good look at the records. That's when you heard his footsteps growing closer, his voice mumbling your name.

"Can I get you anything?" He stood beside you as he quietly asked his question. You noticed a few classical records mixed with some David Bowie and The Beatles, humming to yourself as you nodded. He had good taste in music.

When you turned your head up at him, his lips parted.

"I have water, soda... Wine?" He cocked his brows, trying to read your facial expression. It was clear to you now that he was just as nervous.

"Wine... Please." You huffed out a laugh as his lips curled with a smile.

"Come on."

You froze where you stood, feeling Charlie's hand slipping into yours. His hand overpowered yours without a surprise, locking his fingers in between yours. Ice grew around your feet, planting you in place until Charlie tugged you along. He let your hand go when you entered the kitchen, leaving you to lean against the wall.