Chapter 30: Unconditional

Magsimula sa umpisa

"We're here."

Dalawang taga-bantay ang nagbukas ng higanteng gate, which was three times the height of an average human. Hindi ko napigilang mangamba seeing how secured the place was. It wasn't like the Van Zanth mansion which was normally open for everyone's concern. Natatakot akong magkamali.

Napansin ni Zackary ang pagtahimik ko sa passenger seat. Hinawakan niya ang pisngi ko at hinaplos. "It's gonna be fine," he assured me. "You're here with me."

Paglabas ni Zackary sa sasakyan, agad siyang binati ng ilang taga-bantay. Sila siguro ang mga orders sa lugar na ito. They were wearing this army green vest to differentiate them from civilians and maintain minimal interaction with us.

"Nandito na ang alpha ng Van Zanth," announced one of them in a deep bow.

Maging ang mga taga-silbi na nasa paligid ng mansion ay napatingin, lalo na nang buksan ni Zackary ang pintuan para sa'kin, holding my hand as I stepped out of the car.

"Let's go."

We walked towards the three story house in front of us, with its heavy brick walls and small tower-like structure on the sides with tall circular glass windows. One of the servants opened the door for us to the living room.

A crystal chandelier hanging on the high ceiling above a enormous staircase greeted our sights. Dalawang tao ang tumayo mula sa mahahabang couches sa gitna ng living room. Both of them faced us with such grace and calmness I only see from people with high positions, like Sir Zander and Miss Laura.

The couple greeted us. They might be in their fifties, with such fit and slim bodies. The man clasped Zackary's hand to shake and greeted him with a loud, booming voice.

"Zackary."

Both alphas had this distinct intimidating aura about them, both representing their people. So this is what Zackary's normal working day looked like. Showing his A-game all the time, playing with his strengths with no time to doubt. No wonder he's exhausted at the end of the day.

The woman, his wife I assumed, greeted us with a warm smile. "I'm glad you grant our request to revisit." Right away, I knew the reason of this visit came from her. Compared to her pleasant greeting, her husband didn't seem too pleased with all of this.

"Who's this beautiful lady you're with, Zackary?"

I introduced myself to the woman. "I'm a staff of Van Zanth's apothecary." I dipped my head low. "I'm Eleanor."

"I'm glad to meet you." The woman held my hand and introduced herself as Ms. Ivette.

"Apothecary?" Bakas ang pagbabago sa tono ni Sir Albert, the town leader. Kumunot ang kanyang noo habang pinagmamasdan ako, tila hindi gusto ang nakikita. "We don't need any help from your facility. We're sufficient here."

So this is what Zackary had mentioned earlier on the car ride. That offering help without initial discussion wouldn't always be taken in a positive way because every leader holds a pride that their town could provide enough.

The woman held his husband's arm. "Honey, calm down."

Zackary remained dignified with his stand in the situation. "I'm not offering you help to undermine your leadership," he told Sir Albert, voice calm, tone even. "This is part of the negotiation of my offer to push through with the alliance."

Bumaling ako kay Zackary. Hindi ako sanay makita siya sa ganitong sitwasyon, serious, calm, and with the professional aura of a leader. At first I thought his choice of words would be taken in a bad way by Sir Albert. Nagsalubong ang malagong kilay nito, his wrinkled eyes squinting, pinagaaralan ang mga salita mula sa batang pinuno sa kanyang harapan.