// part one: birthday girl //

Start from the beginning

Y/n was also going through new emotions since becoming a cyborg. She had to take a break from being around society, and she couldn't talk to anyone but Metal and her mother for some time.

Not that there was anyone else for her to talk to. She could go visit Metal Sonic's world as she pleased now, but Metal requested that it only be for trips to have her body worked on.

Y/n sighed through her nose as she thought more and more about her current situation. Sure, she was happy to be able to live as normally as possible again, but she was so scared. She just wanted her old life back.

"Y/n?" A voice called out, startling her. Out of instinct, Y/n snatched up a spoon, jerking her head to the source of the voice and pointing the spoon at them. Metal's eyes widened as he took a step back, surprised.

Y/n blinked, the gears turning in her head as she realized she was glowing slightly. Metal immediately took notice to this as well, reaching out for her.

"What is the matter, Y/n? You seem on edge." He said, placing his metallic hands on her shoulders. Y/n chuckled, tossing the silver spoon into the sink as she looked away from him.

"Ahh, it's nothing, you just startled me. Don't sneak up on me like that and maybe I won't stab you with a spoon." She giggled. Metal smiled slightly, placing a hand on his head.

"Oh, okay. I will try not to do that anymore." He said. Y/n nodded, giving him a soft smile of her own. He seemed so much more... Alive and full of emotions now, compared to when they had first met.

"Well anyway, what was it that you wanted?" She asked.

"It is getting late. Were we still going to go on a walk together?" He asked. He almost had a look similar to that of a begging puppy.

"Of course, Metal. Come on, let's go." She took his hand, leading him out of the kitchen. Metal immediately beamed, following her happily.

Y/n waved goodbye to her mother, telling her that they were going on a walk. The two made their way down to the ocean shore, not too far from where Y/n lived.

The two sat down in the warm sand, just as the sky began to turn from a light blue, into a deep orange color. The sky reflected on the ocean surface, creating a beautiful view.

"Wow, it's beautiful." Y/n commented, smiling as she leaned on Metal's shoulder, pressing against him.

"I guess. It's certainly not as appealing to look at as you are." Metal spoke, making the girl blush. She giggled nervously, gently pushing him away.

"Don't be ridiculous, Metal." She stuck her tongue out at him, Metal simply rolling his eyes. Y/n's eyes drifted back to the setting sun, sighing in content. "This reminds me of when we first met."

"It does?" Metal looked over at her, surprised by her words. Looking towards the sunset, watching its reflection in the waves. He almost melted at the memory, a warm feeling spreading across his chest. "Oh, it is just like when we met..."

"I'm really happy to have met you, Metal. You're my best friend, I can't imagine life without you anymore." Y/n spoke as she looked up at him, a dreamy look in her mismatched eyes.

Metal stared into her eyes, not speaking a word. He wanted more than anything to pull her into a loving kiss, he knew he was in love with her. But he was trying his hardest to take their relationship at a slow and steady pace. Y/n had told him that relationships were hard, and weren't always fun. She didn't want him to end up hurt, or her hurt either.

It took all of Metal's strength to muster a reply instead of just smothering her in all of his loving. Clenching his metal teeth together, he forced a smile for her.