17 !

HARRY STYLES

I don't trust Claire or Declan one bit.

Elise has held visibly uncomfortable conversation with Claire for a couple of minutes now. I busy myself by putting away our cue sticks and resetting the snooker table, hoping that the couple will just move the hell on and stop talking to us.

People cannot be trusted, as a general rule. Certainly not in our line of work. And I have a weird feeling in my gut about them. Claire seems too over-enthusiastic, and Declan is quiet in a menacing sort of way. I know there's ulterior motives here, there has to be, I just haven't figured out what yet.

When I hang my cue stick up and turn back around, noticing that Elise is still engrossed in her conversation—either that, or her introverted personality is being overpowered by Claire's more extroverted one—I decide to spark conversation of my own with Declan. If they're going to waste our time, then it's best for me to scope out their interests and personalities. It's best for me to establish weak spots to target later on, should they become any sort of threat to us.

"You cruise often, then?" I ask as I brush shoulders besides him.

"Sorry?" He smiles, looking across at me and misunderstanding my question.

"I'm Harry," I nod my head a fraction but I don't bother sticking my hand out for a shake. "Do you go on cruises often?"

"Nice to meet you, Harry." Declan smiles widely, with a peculiar glint in his eye which makes my skin crawl with discomfort. "We don't usually take cruises, no. I'm more of a home-body myself, but the wife loves the water, so here we are. Anything for them, right?" He chuckles with a hint of sarcasm, nodding towards the two women and then bumping our elbows together like we've been friends for years.

"Anything for her," I grit harshly, watching Elise tuck her hair behind her ears timidly.

"So, where are you two beautiful people headed, then?" Declan asks, raising his glass to his lips.

I try not to let my jaw tense, forcing my mouth to slacken. "Hawaii. What about you?"

Shit. Should I have really just told him our actual destination?

"Ah, exotic. We're going wherever the cruise ends, I suppose." Declan answers indifferently. That's weird... why wouldn't he know where the cruise is ending? If this is some kind of test I'm not falling for it.

I press my back against the wall, feeling the cold metal of my gun brush my hipbone in the waistband of my suit pants. It would only take a fraction of a second for me to grab it, load it and cock it, but I wonder if it would be a smarter idea for Elise and I to just run. Shooting people on a cruise ship is way harder to clean up and hide than it would be on land. Everyone would hear the bullet and see the gunpowder spark.

"This bar is a little bit... how would you say it? Dead? Not very much is happening." Declan notes, nodding around the marginally empty space. He's right—there's a few small groups of people drinking at tables, but it's more of a sophisticated bar for professional people.

"There's an event going on at the club tonight. I'm sure it'll be better than this. More going on." Declan adds.

"Right..."

"Are you two talking about the club?" Claire interrupts our conversation with her bright eyes, her hand clasped around Elise's wrist to drag her closer. I stand up from against the wall to tell Claire to let go of her. Nobody should be grabbed forcefully like that, especially not by a stranger. Especially not Elise.

But Claire drops her wrist shortly after anyway. I let out a short exhale, maybe I'm overthinking all of this. Maybe they're nice people and I'm being too... reactive. I don't spend time with people outside of my immediate social group, making me impossibly oblivious to the way sparking new friendships work.