10

ELISE ROSEWOOD

There's already a black dress hanging in my hotel room when I get there, it cuts off mid-thigh and exposes a bit of my cleavage. I shimmy into it as Harry had told me to do with shaky hands, wondering where he is and what he's doing. My mind is a muddled mess, but I try not to think of anything too hard apart from getting ready. I don't want to be here without Harry, as weird as it is to feel that way, I realise now that he's protecting me and I feel on edge without him here.

I go to the bathroom and wash down my face, deciding to do a bit of makeup since we're going to a club of some sort. I put on some lip-gloss, mascara and enhance my green eyes with gentle flicks of eyeliner.

Having a gun pressed into your knee is terrifying. I can almost still feel the cool metal against my skin, it's even more frightening than being under open fire because you know the bullet won't miss. I shudder at the memory, sickness washing over me briefly. I could have lost my leg, and my ability to walk forever.

There's a knock at my hotel room door then, halting me from my rapid stream of thoughts—Harry can't be back that quickly? I tread out of the bathroom with bare feet, padding quietly across the carpeted floor. If the Rivals are outside of my door, there's not a single item within my proximity that I could use as a weapon. My mouth grows dry and I push my eye to the peephole. What damage could a hotel menu do to a gang member?

To my relief, it's just Niall and Louis. I vaguely remember that Niall was the one with spiky blond hair and that Louis' brown fringe swept across his forehead. "Open up then, we know you're there." Niall presses his eye to the peephole.

I flush, feeling embarrassed as I step backwards and unlock the door to let them both inside. We haven't really spoken when not in the presence of Harry so I don't really know why they're here. And I know Harry said I'm safe with these guys, but what if they were backstabbing criminals like that driver too? What if Louis pulled out a gun and shot me right now?

"Don't look at us like you're seeing bloody ghosts," Niall laughs, patting my shoulder. "We're here to take you to the club. Harry's going to meet us there with Liam and Zayn." I nod, thinking they could be lying to me but they're both dressed in ironed shirts and suit pants so I presume they're serious about the club. I don't have much choice either, my phone died a long time ago and I also have no way of communicating with Harry for reassurance. The only thing I can do is follow the orders of others, which probably isn't a good idea. I mean, Niall and Louis seem nice enough but I just don't know them well. I also hate myself for forming a trust with Harry after everything he's put me through, but it can't be helped when he's saved me various times now.

I'm dreading seeing Zayn at the club because of when he throttled and threatened me. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact Jess could be dating a prick like him, it makes me upset because she deserves better than that.

I slip my feet into some small black heels, fastening them around my ankles. I gain a little bit of height and Louis whistles at me, "Smokin' hot Rosewood,"

"Louis, shut up." Niall whacks him in the chest as I follow them out of the door. I don't really feel comfortable enough around them to laugh or take it as a compliment, because I've always felt a natural inclination to being uptight. It felt more like he was objectifying me if I'm being honest, which made my skin crawl with discomfort.

They sandwich me on both sides as we walk to the club, like they don't trust that I won't run away. I probably wouldn't make it very far in these heels anyway, I think I would snap both my ankles trying to run.

We slip past the line and the bouncer easily, a few people scowling at us as we pass by. The overhead lights are purple and as soon as we walk into the club, the bass is so loud that I can feel it thumping throughout body. Niall and Louis stay pinned behind and in front of me, Niall gripping one of my arms and Louis with the other so we form an odd-looking snake weaving through the crowds of dancing people. Eventually we get into a VIP section, which is much less quiet and they both let go of me so I can breathe.