Chapter 23

𝚃𝚘𝚗𝚢
I can't believe I was the one to overwhelm her. I took it too far. I just couldn't handle the fact that in some way shape or form she knew everyone else. She even remembered our father, but just couldn't remember me.

I sat at my desk sulking when suddenly the doors to my lab flung open and Barnes came marching through.

"Save the lecture, Barnes. I already know I messed up big time." I sighed. "It's a process for everyone."

"Where's the suit?" He asked in a rush.

"What?" I questioned as I stood up.

"Y/n's suit, where is it?" He asked again.

I led him over to the case that her suit sat in. "Why do you need her suit?"

"How do we get footage out of it?" He asked. "She said they had the suit recording everything they've done. We can get some answers that way."

I quickly opened the glass compartment and grabbed the flash drive from the inside of the suit.

I plugged it into my computer and began opening the files.

"Tony, I should warn you. The footage you're about to see might be brutal. They tortured her plenty in the years we were both there, but this time it looks much worse." Barnes warned.

I nodded my head and clicked on the first file. It was dated just shortly after they took her.

A video began playing and I saw Y/n strapped down to their equipment. She was struggling through the restraints attempting to get free.

"She's still herself in the video," Barnes said. "If she was wiped she'd follow their every command."

"Let me go!" She shouted. "They're going to find me, you know. They're already looking for me."

"Your team of avengers will not be finding you any time soon." The Hydra scientist replied. "Even if you're found, I'll be sure you don't remember them. You are ours, you will be our soldier."

"I'm stronger than you are. You fear me. I know you do Andrei." She retaliated.

The man paused and stared at her for a moment. He was afraid of her. "Start the machine."

The large machine fired up. The lights around her started flickering and the machine appeared to be going haywire.

"What's happening?!" The man she called Andrei shouted. "Is she repelling it?"

"No," the assistant replied. "She's... absorbing it." They both looked at her confused as the machine continued and Y/n continued absorbing the energy of the machine.

"What is she doing?" I asked. "Is she trying to shut it down?"

"I-I'm not sure. She's never attempted anything like that before." Barnes replied.

"Shut it down before she blows up the place!" Andrei shouted.

They shut it down and slowly the machine turned off. Y/n was breathing heavily as the lights flickered on again. Her head sulked down in exhaustion.

Andrei approached her. "Tell me your name." She didn't reply. He gripped her by her hair and pulled her head up to face him. "You are prodigy. You work for me."

Y/n smirked slightly. "I'll never work for you, Andrei." She replied, huffing for air.

The man shouted in frustration then the video ended.