cliff's edge

The shift is subtle, but Lisa notices it anyhow – no more direct selfies for Jennie, or at least, when she checks her socmed, there's less of their faces and more of their other things: Toes curled in the sand; hair fluttering in the wind; a hand against a knee.  

Many times, she recognizes a bit of herself barely inside the frame – looking out to the water while resting between takes; a silhouette of her drinking from a fresh coconut from afar. A shot of Jennie's morning coffee, with her fingertips resting just a few inches away.

Really subtle, Lisa thinks, smiling at her phone a final time before tucking it away.

"You're doing it again," Jennie calls from across the room, and she rolls her eyes, pretending to be pissed.

"Doing what again?" she asks, brow lifted.

"That small smile thing just now," says Jennie. "While you were looking on the phone." And then, off Lisa's light laugh: "Have you any idea just how many girls are in love with you at this very moment? And it's mainly that small smile thing."

"Shut up Jennie," she says, looking away. She's blushing up a storm and she knows it. "I have no small smile thing."

Besides – what's a handful of girls who are in love with me if none of them is you?

And then, catching herself after that train of thought: I did not just think about that, did I?

"You do," Jennie insists, and when Lisa shifts her eyes back to her, she's out of her seat and walking toward her with purpose. Here we go. She slides in beside Lisa, brandishing her phone at her face. "See?"

Of course, Lisa thinks, squinting at the screen. Jennie would have a photo. She always does. "I look ridiculous here. Delete this."

"No," says Jennie, sticking her tongue out at her and snatching her phone back playfully. "You look priceless."

"Jennie."

"I know we had this sort of socmed ceasefire, but can this just—"

"Jennie."

The brunette pouts at her, perching her hand on Lisa's knee warmly. "Please?" She says, going in for the kill, and Lisa sinks back into the couch, laughing as she curls her legs underneath her.

"Whatever you want," she just says.

@jennierubyjane: someone tell @lalalalisa_m to unplug – we're at the beach! pic.twitter.com/
kH5bF7lgJm

*

Jennie likes disappearing in between takes; it's what gets the both of them in trouble mostly, and far too many times the director has to send out production assistants to find them.

Their most successful attempt has them holing up in a hut at the far end of the beach – Jennie says one of the girls at the hotel bar had told her about it, and at first, Lisa was reluctant to stray so far from their hotel, but in the face of the brunette's insistence, it's not like she has much of a choice.

Not like she's about to allow Jennie to stray on her own.

"I told you this was a good idea," she says, pulling Lisa into the hut after her. Inside, there is a wooden bed pushed against the huge window overlooking the beach. Jennie climbs onto it carefully and stares out. "The life."

Lisa squints at the sight. The view is gorgeous and the warm sun is making her dizzy and drowsy. Well, she just thinks, sitting at the other edge of the bed. Jennie isn't wrong.