The terrorists

" Five of our men are inside! " I yelled at Jack Roffman. He ducked behind the broken wall and I peeped over to the front, where five of our soldiers were positioned behind the brown ruins, ready to take the enemy down. 

We were already picking up on them as we had taken down fourteen terrorists till now. I thought it wouldn't take us long before we shot  the remaining six. I was reloading my assault rifle behind the wall, when Jack Roffman cried, " LOOKOUT! " I instantly turned, a terrorist dressed in all black was firing at the ruins where our soldiers were positioned. None of us came out, we waited for him to stop and reload his gun. Another terrorist behind him threw a hand grenade at the ruins. 

" Damn it! " I clenched my teeth, and the very next moment, a loud boom filled the air. Smoke and Ash flew everywhere, and when I looked back at the ruins, I saw five bodies burning under the broken walls. Jack Roffman exchanged grim looks with me. 

" Only 10 of us remain, " I told him about our remaining men. 

" What do we do, Chris? " cried Peter, who was positioned behind me along with three soldiers of his unit. I took a deep breath, and made an instant decision. 

" Jack and I will flank from right, " I told them, " Peter, you will lead three men from the left,  and the rest four will provide us distraction." 

Another loud boom filled our ears. A grenade had just landed five feet behind us, and we were lucky that we weren't dead yet. 

" I want one grenade in on them from each team after three minutes, get going and keep your walkies on! " I ordered. 

Peter led three soldiers from the left, and Me and Jack crouched behind the ruins and started sprinting towards the right. Our four soldiers in the centre provided us cover by firing continuous shots at them and keeping a check on their activities. 

They were still fifty yards away from me and Jack when my walkie started buzzing. 

" Captain Chris, come in, over" 

" Captain Chris, in, over. "

" This is Peter, cap, they've seen us flanking left, and they're splitting up. Two of them are coming your way. We're still seventy yards away from them, Over. " Peter warned. 

" I want a grenade on them, Peter. " I urged.

" You got it! " 

Me and Jack started sprinting again, more careful this time, we knew they were coming this way. 

Bullets flew in the middle, where our third team gave us cover, and prevented them from getting out of their hiding place. I pulled out a grenade and unpinned it, then threw it with full force at the terrorists. The smoke that rose through it, allowed me to block their vision for a handful few seconds. We seized that opportunity and dashed. 

" Twenty yards away now, over, " cried Peter from over his walkie. 

" Fifteen, over. " I replied. 

" Only two in the middle, we won't let any of them get near you, "  Sergeant Viktor told over the walkie, " we're throwing two grenades in to block their view, then you can push in. " 

A few moments later, I held my breath and a deafening noise filled my ears, a smoke cloud formed in front of us. We seized this opportunity and ran in at the terrorists, they were hiding behind a broken wall and hadn't realized that we'd be attacking so soon. Jack shot three rounds at one of them, the bullets left his gun at a lightning speed. Numerous bullet sounds filled my ears, and I couldn't understand what was happening on the other two fronts with our two teams. I came from behind Jack and shot a few rounds at the second terrorist who shot five rounds at us in response. My bullets hit him in the chest, but I felt a shooting pain in my arm. I dropped on my knees, trying to regain strength when my eyes crept to Jack Roffman, lying beside me on his chest. I instantly rushed over to him and turned him around. Three deep-red patches had covered his Khaki uniform. 

" Go! " Jack urged in a muffled voice. 

My walkie buzzed again. 

" What! " I yelled. 

" Captain Chris, we've taken down the two in front of us, but three of my men are shot. Only I remain on the left, over. " Peter's voice echoed in my ears. We had lost four more men. 

" Sergeant Viktor here, they've taken down two of our men, over. " 

" Captain Chris here, we managed to take down two terrorists, but Sergeant Jack has been shot. " I said, despite the lump forming in my throat. 

" Orders, Captain? " Peter yelled into his walkie, crouching behind the wall. 

" How many remain? " I asked. 

" Two, " urged Sergeant Viktor, " and they're closing in on the right side, Captain, be careful. " 

" Give me cover and drop grenades on them. Peter, flank from left and try to give me their exact position," I yelled and hid behind a broken wall, waiting for any movement in front of me. Two grenades were thrown at the terrorists by Sergeant Viktor, I seized the opportunity, and ran ahead, taking cover of any wall in front of me. My eyes fell on one of them, crouching low, watching out in the direction of Sergeant Viktor, I immediately stepped out and aimed at him. He turned his head - but too late. I shot three rounds at him and ran forward, when suddenly a terrorist jumped in front of me and pushed his gun into my chest, firing it madly, clenching his teeth. We fell together, Peter had managed to take him down from behind while he was busy filling my insides with his bullets. 

My world started to spin before my eyes, and my body started howling in pain. Tears formed at the corners of my eyes, and deep red blood oozed from my mouth. I put both my hands on my stomach. My khaki uniform had turned a deep red now, and my helmet fell loosely beside me. 

" All clear, Sergeant, Captain Chris is shot, form up quickly! " Peter's voice buzzed in my walkie. Darkness fell before my eyes, and I couldn't think of anything. Peter crouched before me, holding my face. His voice seemed to come from several miles afar. 

Sergeant Viktor stood behind him, panting. I closed my eyes and I thought I would never open them again. 

But guess what, I was seriously wrong!

_____________________________________