Day One: Tree Decorating

Sy grins at you as you hand him the Christmas decorations to put at the top of the tree. It warms your heart to see him so happy. It hadn't always been like this, you had spent many Christmas's apart, but not anymore, now you are always together and it's always joyful. This year he seems particularly excited. Not only is it his first Christmas in Australia with all your family, but it is also little Matilda's first one ever.

Reaching into the carefully stored box of Sy's favourite decorations he insisted you bring when you moved home, you smile and feel the sting of tears as you pick up the bauble that even you didn't want to leave behind.

On December 1st last year, you had taken a pregnancy test after skipping a period. You wanted to ring him immediately, not able to keep the news to yourself, but you almost never call him while he's at work. You're used to being independent after going through several years without him while he was on tour. Instead, you rushed out to the shops and got a personalised bauble made with "Merry Christmas Daddy" written on one side and a silhouette of a pregnant woman with "Bump's First Christmas" written on the other.

Nearly shaking with nerves, you had handed him the decoration and held your breath. Sy looked at it and smirked.

"Hmm, you tryin' to tell me ya wanna go on Santa's naughty list tonight?" Sy grabbed you around the waist, drawing you close and nuzzling deep into your neck, nipping at your ear with a growl.

Giggling, you said, "Turn it around, Sy."

Sy lifted his head and turned the ball in his fingers, and nearly dropped it. His eyes were wide as he looked at you and his jaw went slack, he seemed genuinely speechless.

"I did the test today," you said softly. "Nothing's confirmed, I don't know how exactly how far along I am, probably only six weeks, but I wanted to tell you straight away."

Slowly he grinned, still unable to say a word, he pressed his lips to yours. He kissed you hard with unrestrained passion and desire, reminding you of how he'd kiss you when he came home from deployment. You felt his hand press low against your belly, squeezing gently at your soft flesh, and all of your nervousness fell away, replaced by your own need for him.

"You're havin' my baby," he said as he leaned his forehead on yours. You nodded as you cupped his softly bearded cheeks. "That's so fuckin' hot."

You had burst out laughing. Sy chuckled, turning away briefly to hang the bauble on the tree. With a triumphant shout, he lifted your feet off the ground and carried you to bed to show you just how hot he thought you were.

"Whatcha grinnin' at Sugar?" Sy's voice pulls you out of your reminiscing.

You hand him the bauble, and Sy beams. He looks at Tilly, so sweet in her little rocker, cooing happily as she watches the two of you. Wrapping his arm around your waist, he kisses your forehead.

"She's the best thing I ever got."