I was way too happy at that moment to be embarrassed, but I did grin at Conor again and say, 'I'll, um, see you afterwards.'

He grinned back. 'Okay.'

I hesitated, caught up in grinning at him, until Tarquin rolled his eyes and started dragging me towards the edge of the stage.

'You could have told me that was why you wanted to see him,' he complained as he pulled me along. 'I would have told you where he was!'

'No you wouldn't,' I countered, tripping out of his grasp so I was once again hidden behind the black curtain beside Josh and Rachel.

'Fair enough,' Tarquin admitted, turning around to make his way back to his drum kit.

'You're insane!' Josh exclaimed, half jumping on me as he wrapped one arm tightly around my neck and mussed up my hair with the other. Rachel shoved him aside and wrapped me in a tight hug. I still couldn't stop smiling.

'Shut up,' I mumbled, avoiding their gaze and looking out onto the stage as the band tuned their instruments. 'It was an accident.'

'That was the most amazing accident I've ever seen,' Rachel told me.

Conor walked up to his microphone and cleared his throat. 'We are Name Withheld and this is Hidden...' he started. 'Which may take on a new significance now that you all know that I'm...' he paused and I saw his fist tighten around the microphone for a second. Was he actually going to say it? I found myself holding my breath as he glanced down and to the left - my direction - before looking back up and finishing, 'gay.'

I let out the breath I'd been holding and Rachel squeezed me gently with the arm she still had encircling my waist. I couldn't believe he'd actually said it.

'I'd do you!' a male voice called from the crowd and the audience giggled.

Conor laughed and said, 'Thanks, but I kind of like somebody else.' The band started playing before the audience - or I - could respond and Conor started singing the opening lyrics, his voice swimming around me like it always does.

Josh rested his elbow on my shoulder amicably. 'You have a boyfriend... I have a girlfriend... Everything is different.'

'I don't have a boyfriend yet,' I pointed out.

'And you don't have a girlfriend yet either,' Rachel said archly from my other side.

Josh groaned. 'Why does everything have to be difficult? I'm trying to have a bonding moment here.'

'Bond over still being single then,' she said, folding her arms.

'Oh my god,' Josh opined, before looking at her purposefully. 'So, are we doing this or what?'

We both stared at him. 'Is that seriously how you're asking her?'

'What? What was wrong with that?'

'Dude!'

'Okay! Fuck, sorry. Rachel.'

'Yes, Josh?'

'Do you wanna be my girlfriend?'

'Yes Josh. Yes I do. It's about bloody time. If you ever take this long to-' She was cut off by Josh groaning again, muttering, 'Oh shut up,' and kissing her.

But I couldn't even scrape together enough cynicism to feel like a third wheel. I glanced past them towards Conor, who was still singing onstage, gripping the microphone in both hands, his eyes closed.

'Um, guys,' I said after a second, suddenly remembering something. They were just hugging now, Josh's chin resting on top of Rachel's head, swaying to the music. 'Has anyone seen Jackson?'