-12-

C H A P T E R T W E L V E

March 21 1976

"So mom, before you worked for the Bosmans you worked for another family?" I asked.

"Yes." She replied.

"And how was it like working for them? Were they better than the Bosman family?" I asked.

"They were okay." She said quietly while looking down at Zenande who was fast asleep on Mama's lap.

"Just okay?"

"Yes Ayize."

I looked at the headstone infront of us before asking her another question, "So what did dad mean when he said-

"We should get going now." She spoke cutting me off. "It's getting late and Zenande is already asleep." Mama stood up while carrying Zenande in her arms. I packed up our stuff and neatly placed them in my bag.

The journey home was silent. Usually when Mama and I walk together we have so much to talk about.

"Mama, are you okay?" I asked concerned.

She smiled and nodded, "Yes." But the smile didn't reach her eyes. "I just miss your dad."

"Oh." I said, looking down at my feet as we walked to the train station.

Silence surrounded us once again.

"When are you planning on leaving your job?" Mama asked, breaking the silence.

I looked at her utterly dumbfounded, "What? Mama, I thought we spoke about this."

"Ayize, I don't want you near that family."

"Since when Mama?" I asked. "The Bosmans have been really nice to me." I lied.

"When has a white person ever been nice to a black person, hmm?" She snapped.

A heavy silence fell upon us.

"Tomorrow is your last day. From now onwards your main focus is school and nothing else. Do you understand?"

"But mama." I protested.

"Enough Ayize. I'm your mother and you need to start listening to me. Am I making myself clear?"

"Yes." I mumbled.

"Yes who?"

"Yes mama."

~*~

Thank you for reading and sorry for the short chapters. 💜