-11-

C H A P T E R  E L E V E N

November 29 1958
Topville

"Max, we can't stay here anymore." I spoke as I prepared dinner for my husband.

"I know sthandwa sami, I promise you we won't be here next year." He said.

"How do you know that we won't be here next year?" I asked, placing the plate of food on his lap. He folded the newspaper he was reading and placed it on the table.

"How do you feel about Soweto?" He asked.

"Soweto? But only mine workers stay there."

He patted the space next to him, gesturing for me to sit down next to him.

"Which is why I got a job as a mine worker." He announced.

I couldn't believe it. We were finally going to leave Topville. Topville wasn't a place where one could start a family. It was overcrowded, which led to the spread of many illnesses such as pneumonia. We didn't want to raise our children in that type of environment.

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Yes my love. As soon as I start working we will move to Soweto and we can start our own little family."

We had big dreams and they were slowly coming true. My husband was going to be a mine worker. We were going to stay in Soweto and start our own family.

"When I start working, you don't have to be a domestic worker anymore." He said.

"But you can't be the only one that is paying for our expenses."

"My love, I can't watch you suffer anymore. It pains me so much seeing you like this knowing that there is nothing I can do about it." He said. He lifted my face, and gently moved his hands over my face. "Did he touch you today?"  He whispered

I shook my head, "No, his wife was home today so he couldn't do anything."

He wiped away the tears that managed to escape."Soon my love. Soon." He whispered, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead.

~*~

Sthandwa Sami: a Zulu phrase that refers to "my love"

Please note that in this chapter, Ayize's mother is basically telling Ayize and Zenande the events that took place before their father died.