- 03 -

C H A P T E R  T H R E E

As I walked on the paved road, with a tremendous amount of street lights, I couldn't help but think how this place was so much different from our home.

The grass was well cut and much greener. Each and every single house had a fence with a sign that read Protected by ADT Security. Each garden had flowers, blossoming brightly in the sun, refreshing the air that they breathe. The service delivery here was perfect. Not a single piece of paper was on the ground. Even the sun shines differently here.

I took out the piece of paper from the pocket of my dress and read the address written on it. I was almost there, just a few more houses.

Once I had reached my destination, I pressed the button on the intercom and patiently waited for a response.

"Wie is daar?" (Who is there?) A voice came through the speaker.

I cleared my throat nervously, "Hi. My name is Ayize Khoza and I would like to speak to Mrs Bosman."

After a while, the gate opened revealing a white lady well in her fortys. She had an apron wrapped around her waist. Her hair was tied neatly into a low bun.

She looked behind me as if to check if I was with anyone."What brings you here dear?" She asked.

"Good morning Ma'am, my name is Ayize and I'm Miriam's daughter." I held my hand out.

She hesitated before placing her hand in mine. "Miriam Khoza?" She questioned.

"Yes Ma'am."

"Well nice to meet you dear, how is that hard working mother of yours doing?" She asked, with concern written all over her face.

"She's still sick, but hopefully she'll be better soon."

"Ever since she left, our house hasn't been the same."

Hasn't been the same? As in no one cleans and looks after you and your family anymore?

"I can imagine." I lied. "Which is why I'm here. Since my mom got sick, we have been really struggling to make ends meet. I was kind of hoping you could give me a job."

"Oh dear, I don't think-

"Please. Only temporarily. When my mom gets better she will return. Don't you need someone who is going to help you around the house?"

Silence fell upon us as she put on her thinking face and stared blankly at the tree across the road.

"Okay fine, but does your mom agree with this?" She asked.

"Yes definitely, I already asked for her permission."

"Okay dear, you may come inside."

The house was even more spacious inside. The living room was two times bigger than our whole house.

"You have a lovely house Ma'am." I smiled politely.

"Oh this is nothing dear, but Miriam did a good job keeping it clean."

The walls were painted white. On the wall were pictures of Mrs Bosman and her family, I assume. The other wall had badges and certificates issued SAP. The coffee table had a large vase with all sorts of flowers in it. The flowers caught your attention from the moment you walked inside. They also made the house bright and lively. The house was very beautiful but it wasn't homely.

"Before I show you around the house, how about you tell me a little more about yourself." Mrs Bosman spoke.

~*~

SAP:
- the South African Police (SAP) was the national police force and law enforcement agency in South Africa from 1913 to 1994;