Chapter Twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

"I got one more surprise. Then we have to head to your house." I replied as a man hugged two little kids not too far from us. A mom, I presumed snapped a shot with a camera. "Lillian, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah,"

"Why do you hate Mr.Anderson?"

"What's it matter? And I don't hate him."

I side-eyed Lillian as we kept walking, "Well you know my bizarre family. It's only right I get to know a little about yours.'

Lillian closed her eyes and sighed, "Fine. It's like I said I don't hate him. For the longest time it was just me, him and mom. My mom and I were never close. I think it's because she regrets being with my dad but I don't know. She doesn't answer any of my questions concerning him. He's not here. What do you want from me, is what she always says. Mr.Anderson was my dad. . .in the beginning. He was there on the first day of pre-k. He taught me how to tie my shoe, ride a bike and said all the things that made a daughter feel special." Lillian explained. We stood in front of the gift shop. A dad wiped his daughters mustard covered face.

"What changed?"

"One day I woke up and I wasn't so special. There wasn't time for trips to get ice cream or go to the park. Not one but two little bundles of joy took my place. Their skin matched his exactly and their hair was the exact shade as his. He wasn't my dad. He never was. He was theirs."

I pulled Lillian in for a hug when she let out a gut-wrenching cry. Her shoulders moved up and down as her tiny frame took in gulps of air. "Oreo, that's not how parental love works. You don't get suddenly replaced. A heart, a parents heart expands. It doesn't kick out one kid to make room. There's plenty of room for all. I can tell. Mr.Anderson, he misses it. He misses you."

"No, he doesn't, he has Henley."

"And before her there was you. There's still you."

The ride back home was quiet. The music was on low and provided a peacefulness to the silence. Lillian was looking out the window. Deep in thought, I guessed. Her picture that was painted by penguins was held protectively in her lap. My final gift to her. Who knew, penguins painted. I parked my car outside of the Andersons house and Lillian left her painting in the car. She would get it when her parents left. Lillian unlocked the door and I followed in after her.

"How was your date, Lil?" Mr.Anderson asked from the living room. He and Mrs.Anderson were sipping wine from wine glasses.

Lillian went into the kitchen and grabbed a popsicle from the freezer, "Fine. He made it to second base,"

Lillian's parents coughed out dark red wine and I grabbed some nearby towels. I guess a ten minute car ride wasn't enough time for Lillian to think. Lillian's parents left and the twins and I enjoyed some Chinese and a movie. Lillian never came back downstairs. I hope she's not mad at me for bringing Mr.Anderson up in the first place. Good grief.

About halfway into the movie, the doorbell rang. Melody started barking. Eight pounds and all bark. That was Melody. She had cute power though but that was about it. I went to the door and peeked my head behind the blinds to see who it was. A tall, light-skinned man stood at the door. He wore a tie with a plain white shirt and some black slacks. He held roses and a box of chocolates in the shape of a heart in his hands. Kennedy, you dog, I thought to myself.

My eyebrows sinked and my smile turned upside down. I didn't peg her for a cheater. I was usually right about these things. The man rang the bell again. I didn't want him to alert the twins. They were so young. What did I care? I'm not a monster. It's not my problem. I didn't live for this sort of thing. I just made a living off of it. It didn't make me happy. Didn't it?