Chapter Twenty-seven

Valentine's Day meant chocolates for Courtney,

Dating my sister meant dudes had to pay a toll fee,

Brayden wanted a night without Amarah and cleaning up her bed soaked in pee,

Trick spent his day with Ashley, Lisa, and Marie.

I said a little poem to myself as I waited for Lillian to arrive. I never dated a girl before but I knew it wasn't like being a girl and dating a guy. Who was supposed to open the door for who? Who covered the bill? Half and half like creamer or you pay for you and I pay for me? Do I bring the flowers? Can I expect flowers? Does there have to be a "dude" in the relationship? These questions seemed childish but that didn't mean they were obvious.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Lillian knocking at my door shook me from my roaming mindset. She smiled at me from behind the glass and I rolled my eyes unlocking the door. Was dating her a wise choice? Lillian's parents knew she was going on a date but not with who and I was scheduled to babysit the twins around the same time Lillian would be returning from her date. As long as her parents didn't see her exit my car all would be okay. Not that it was illegal to date her, probably unethical to her parents but not illegal."Happy Valentine's Day! These are for you." Lillian said, holding a bag out to me. It was a yellow bag with bold, black sticker letters that said, "Somebody's girlfriend."

"Nice bag decorating. I hope it didn't take all night." I teased Lillian playfully. I reached into the bag and pulled out a piece of rectangular paper. It was a spa voucher for two at some spa I didn't know.

"You work so hard. You're always babysitting the twins and then there's school. You should take a day for yourself and relax."

How thoughtful. How sweet. I wasn't a sentimental person just ask my family but Lillian's gift deserved one thing. I leaned over, my face hovering next to hers. Lillian brought her face closer and for a second I thought about pulling back and teasing her. Her glossy lips met my own that were covered in shea butter. They molded together so perfectly like a puzzle. A puzzle that finally had all of its pieces.

"Thanks for the gift."

"There's one more."

"Spoiling me are we?" I answered as I reached into the bag once more. This time it was clothes I pulled out. A shirt to be exact. It was a regular tee in sunflower yellow and the front read, "Girlfriend Claimed" I lifted an eyebrow and smiled. "Possessive aren't we."

"Do you like it?"

"I love it. Where'd you get it?"

"I made it. I think I figured out what I want to do with my life or at least some of it. I want to be a fashion designer. I want to make clothes that help people find their forever or temporary person. What do you think?"

"I think you're amazing and you care about people. Don't ever change, oreo. Now, let's go to the aquarium and your gift is there."

It was only a ten minute drive to the aquarium from where Lillian lived and since it was a Friday it was plenty packed. I held onto Lillian's hand and we started our tour at the aquarium. The African penguins were amusing to watch as they did tricks for fish. Their habitat is surrounded by rocks and a deep water pool. I enjoyed stroking a pink starfish and Lillian practically squashed a yellow one. Lillian screamed when a American alligator surprised her by blending in with the murky water. A surprise behind the scene look with the dolphins cheered her up and also got us wet.

We walked through a tunnel of glass that held gallons of water and little, colorful fish. The underwater scenery was simply breathtaking with boulders that sparkled and fields of coral reef went on and on. "You're one to talk about fancy gifts. This is the best gift ever." Lillian said as she pulled me in close. We kissed under a glass of water that could crush us surrounded by complete strangers. Best day ever.