Chapter Seventeen

The Andersons house was dressed to impress in gold, black and white balloons. There were a few servers with platters of vegetables, finger foods, and seafood. The living room and dining room held prizes for the guests to bet on. A white podium for the speaker to stand and the television showcased the prizes and their starting prices. Parents and their kids were already here and enjoying the party-the parents dressed in casual dress-up and kids in pajamas. I felt out of place in my skinny black jeans and white top with a yellow tie. 

 "Mhmm, you're looking hot as always. Want a drink to cool down?" Lillian said from behind. 

"You're always popping up behind me. Ever thought about being a sociopath?" I asked. My breath catching in my throat. Lillian wore a short gold and pink dress. The top half was dusted in gold, and the bottom layer in a cotton candy pink to the knees. Lillian complimented the outfit with- "Are those jiggly puff socks?" 

 Lillian blushed a tomato red, "There, Hunters."

 "Sure they are." I teased playfully. I laughed at Lillian's reddening face. 

 "I'm just borrowing them." 

 "Uh-huh. I got to get to babysitting. See ya later, Lillian." I said, walking toward the playroom downstairs. 

 "I'm helping. Don't cha know? I have to be on my best behavior. My birthday weekend officially starts tomorrow, and I am ready!" Lillian screeched. 

 "No loud noise, child. You can play with the toys or watch TV. Snacks are over there. Do not make a mess. If you have to use the bathroom, ask a grownup." Aurora commanded as Lillian loudly entered the playroom. I specifically asked for her not to be here. I never get what I want.

 "Excush you. I am a grownup." Lillian said, rocking her neck from side to side. Very mature.

 "Right, well, if you're not a babysitter, then you're a baby in here. So plot it, birthday girl. You don't want to misbehave." Aurora taunted Lillia,n who only huffed in rage. 

 I rolled my eyes at their childish antics. Henley and Hunter were playing with magnetic tiles. A few other kids were playing with blocks and puzzles. There were two toddlers by the last babysitter who looked to be about to take a nap. The playroom had a flat-screen TV, a small round table with chips, juice pouches and pizzas, and plenty of toys. 

 "Of course, you'd be here," Aurora spoke as she made her way to where I stood by the table full of food. I grabbed a slice of pizza and waved to the twins. 

 "Bite me, Aurora. I work here. You're my guest. Hey guys. Who's ready for this weekend?" I said to Hunter and Henley, who ran over to hug me. 

 "We are!" They said in unison. 

 "We're going to the park tomorrow, and then mom said we could see the Jurassic Park movie at six. Then Lillian's party is at nine. We can have cake, but then it's off to bed. Saturday, we can go to the library and then to the arcade." Henley said, her words flopping over one another as she hurried to talk. 

 Hunter grabbed some chips and showed them in his mouth, "Then Sunday we can chill and watch movies. And you forgot to mention at the library we're making Valentine's Day stuff like chocolates and cards. Our friends are coming."

 "Are you making a Valentine for anyone, Mi'a?" Henley asked. Lillian and Aurora, who had been standing not too far away, perked up. Nosey much.

 "I guess you'll see Saturday," I answered. "Go ahead and play. When everyone leaves, it’s lights out." The twins grabbed some juice pouches and went to play a game of rings and toss. 

 About an hour had passed, and half of the kids were sleeping. The time read ten o'clock on my phone. The twins were included in those who had fallen asleep. "Do you want to take them upstairs? That way, we don't risk them waking up." Lillian asked me. I looked up from my phone and nodded my head. 

 "Good idea," I said. "I'll grab Hunter. We'll be back." I said to Grace and Aurora. Grace nodded her head, and Aurora, who had been texting, just waved a hand toward the door. 

 The fundraiser was fully underway. The smell of cinnamon and vanilla from rum is thick in the air. A handful of guys were standing around drinking by the liquor cabinet in the dining room. Waiters passed around little bottles of water and any food leftover. It was clean for the most part, which was a relief. I wanted to take a bath as soon as everybody left. I gave a gentle push to Lillian, who was busy ogling a make-out scene upstairs. Lillian opened the twins’ door,  and we each put our individual twins in their beds. 

 "Are you going to your room for the night? The fundraiser ends in an hour, and most of the kids are asleep. I'll be sure to tell your parents you helped out." I offered to Lillian. 

 She scrunched up her face in displeasure, "I don't consider Mr.Anderson to be my father, and yeah, I’ll turn in. Thanks." 

 "No problem. Good night."  I waited until Lillian went into her room and shut her door. I walked back towards the stairs but stopped short. 

 "Oops, sorry," I said, purposely strolling into the room with the kissing couple. They both stood up in a startled manner—the man adjusting his pants and the woman buttoning up her blouse. 

 "Ugh, no biggie. Who are you?" The woman muttered, looking behind me cautiously. Gotcha!

 "I'm one of the cleaners. I think I saw two people looking for you two. They were calling-"

 "Jackie!"

 "Charlton!"

 "Yeah, those," I said in surprise. It looks like my luck is changing evermore. 

 "You have to tell them you saw us downstairs. Please." The man begged. He closed the door behind me as the footsteps who called their names approached closer. 

 "What's in it for me?" I asked.

 "What do you mean?" The man stupidly asked. 

 "She wants money, dipshit. What do you have in your pocket? I have a hundred. Here." The lady said, handing me the bill. The man reached into his pants pocket and gave me a handful of bills. Ka-ching! "Now, get rid of them." The woman demanded.