Chapter Eight

Cute pic is Lyric's first road trip to Rhode island 🏝

 ". . .long story short she paid for it even though she didn't even eat a bite of her food." I said retelling the story to my family once I got home. Everyone was gathered in the living room eating the shrimp Alfredo and biscuits Brayden had made for dinner. 

 "Couldn't have been me,"  Talia declared. "Period."

 "Hell yeah. I would have made a scene something shown the fuck out." Brayden said, shaking his head up and down. Courtney, his girlfriend shaking her head alongside him. "If she would have done that the other customers could have made a ruckus and video recorded the situation."

 "Shoot, I would have been like-" Trick said before moving to the left, ducking and moving to the right and ducking again. "Wouldn't have caught me. You kno!" We all laughed at his crazy antics. 

 I went to my room after that to bathe and get ready for school tomorrow. There was no rest for the wicked and busy.

. . . . . . . . . .

 "Now if 2x and. . ." Blah, blah, blah! That was Mr.Chai talking going on about the math problem he was writing on the board. I did math like this in high school. It was nothing but a refresher now. For some though it was another language entirely. In my class were freshman, sophomore, seniors-literally. There were two older male students in my class who were lost and always asking for help on how to do the math.

 Then there was the light-skinned senior in high school who knew this math even better than me. She had curly, black hair and a cute smile. She also missed a lot of classes and her dad was sick with something. I gave her props for being so incredible during such a hard time. It reminded me of the advice my dad often gave me. Be mad or sad for twenty-four hours and then move on. Anything over that time was nothing but wasted time. He said a death was the only thing that rule could be bent for. 

 It was a ruke I followed and took to heart and why when things were thrown my way I didn't try to dodge. I let them hit me. Scar me. Hurt me. Then the next day, I was over it. I left it in a black box in the back of my brain rarely to be thought about again. 

 My phone vibrated on my desk. I flipped it over revealing a message from the Andersons. Hi, Mi'a. Need a last minute sitter for the twins. Are you available five to twelve?

 I flipped the phone back over. I looked at the board. Mr.Chai had moved on to another problem. I quickly scribbled it down with my orange mechanical pencil. I finished it in less than three minutes. My phone buzzed a second time. Perfect timing.

 I'll tip accordingly of course and pay twenty-five an hour. Five dollars extra and a tip. Patience. That's all one needs. I waited a few more minutes before replying.

 Yes, I'm free. See you at five. 

 At the end of math class Jasmine walked to my desk to claim her brilliantly written paper if I do say so myself. She gave me a fifty and my slice of apple pie from Belle's Pies. 

 "I got a new client for you." Jasmine stated walking alongside me out of the class.

 I waited patiently as she applied another layer of lip gloss to her already glossy lips. I got a little impatient by the time we were in the elevator heading down to the first floor. 

 "Hey boo, this is Mi'a. The one who be writing my mad, good papers. I never get anything less than an A." Jasmine boasted about me to a handsome, dark-skinned boy in the school's sports jersey. 

 "Hey, Jasmine said you write killer papers. Me and my boys need some papers written. You hook us up?" Mr.Sports Boy asked me gazing at me with one chocolate brown eye as he kissed Jasmine fiercely. 

 I didn't write for people on sports team. It was bad business. If my business ever blew up it would be a bigger scandal than me just writing for a few brainless students. I'd be in trouble for writing for wannabe NBA or NFL players. It so wasn't worth it.

 "I don't know. Paper talks and I'm not hearing much noise." I casually said my blank expression giving little away. Then again what was college without a few risks? Life. Boring adult play it safe life. 

 "Okay little mama. How about one hundred per paper and my girl already told me about the pie. That’s no problem. Me and boys all take the same classes though so I'll be the one giving you our assignments and the money. It's four of us so that's four hundred and i'll just pay for a whole apple pie to cover us all. Deal?"

 "Deal. The less people I interact with the better. You don't screw me over and I won't screw you guys over. You'll have just as much to lose as me if not more. So where's the assignment and I'll need a downpayment of fifty and then you get half of the paper and the other half when you pay me the rest." It was less of a trail that way to do everything by hand. Nothing was sent over emails or paid through PayMe. 

 "Here's the syllabus with the instructions. We need it by next Wednesday," Mr.Sports Boy said as he paid me and he and Jasmine walked away. I would need to talk to Jasmine to get her boyfriend's name and his friends. I could text her but like I said I kept business off of electronics and did everything in person. I could still begin on their papers. It was almost time for me to go to psychology 1201. I had a little bit of time to grab some Panda Express and the buzz in my pocket met so did Alex.