𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺𝟽 - 𝚂𝚌𝚑𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚝'𝚜 𝙴𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐

Start from the beginning

Bite the bullet, you reminded yourself, just get it over and done with.

"Schlatt, you need to come with me." You stepped into the van and moved to hoist him up by one arm.

"E-eh?" he murmured. "O-oi, get your- your hands off me. I'll have you know I'm- 'm the emperor of a count- countryyyy."

You sighed. "Not anymore. Congratulations."

"Wha-whaddya m-m-meeeean?"

"Dream's done with you. Wilbur always was. Frankly, I am too."

Schlatt appeared to straighten up in his position, making direct eye contact with you for the first time.

"Y/n, my favorite assistant!" he said, words lilting into a call. "My madamoiselle."

"You know I always hated that name," you murmured.

The man's eyes were glazed over but clearly attempting to focus on you. He whispered something quietly.

You tilted your head. "What?"

He grabbed you by the collar of your shirt. You cringed at the alcohol lingering on his breath.

"You know I always loved you."

You froze for a few seconds. Your eyes held something a bit like contempt, a bit like pity, and the smallest sliver of something else.

"No, you don't."

Schlatt was clearly taken aback, the expression on his face hiding nothing. Being drunk did that to a person, you guessed.

"What?"

You returned his stare. "If you loved me - really, genuinely, truly - you wouldn't have done what you did."

"No, but I-"

"You think loving me was trying to kiss me, without consent, when I was alone?"

"I didn't-"

"What about murdering my friend in front of me?"

"That wasn't-"

"Don't bullshit me. Don't bullshit yourself."

Wisely, Schlatt backed down with his half-assed rebuttals. You pulled yourself from his grasp and looked at him disdainfully.

"Whatever love is," you said, voice bordering on a whisper, "that's not what we have. Especially after the things we've done."

You heard him chuckle weakly. You didn't move. You didn't dare.

"Well... after all's said and done..." he breathed quietly.

"Maybe you'll understand me one day."

It was then you looked closer at him. At his ever so slightly open mouth. His cold eyes.

His unmoving chest.

-----

The moment came back to you a few days after the war.

Bad stood in place as officiator. Of the funeral, that is. Though it was far less somber than you'd expect a funeral to be.

Tubbo quite happily spoke on his experiences serving under Schlatt. Alex cussed out the dead man and got several other people to do the same. Tommy was surprisingly polite during his speech, offering a "rest in peace" at the end.

You came up after Tommy, offering your own moderately respectful words.

"Of the many experiences I've had with Schlatt... they aren't really amazing."

"You can say that again!" Alex yelled.

You chuckled lightly, continuing. "He's not done much good for anyone here, I imagine. Regardless, I hope he's shown you all - us all - a valuable lesson. How easily power can be exchanged, and abused as well."

The mood had clearly darkened as you spoke. You sighed, deciding to end the speech on a lighter note.

"So, with that," you declared, smiling, "how about we celebrate this fucker's death?"

And as cheers erupted from the crowd and you descended from the podium, you glanced up at the sky. 

I don't know where you are, Schlatt, you thought to yourself, or if you're even still around. But if you can hear me, wherever you might be...

"Goodbye. Good riddance," you murmured.

Rest in peace.

-----

1082 words (without a/n)

Header by @/keshakeksik on Twitter

MERRY CHRISTMAS OR HAPPY EARLY KWANZAA OR HAPPY LATE HANUKKAH

lolz it's been quite the rollercoaster lately (no literally i worked ungodly hours on my school rollercoaster project) and i'm going on a no-internet trip soonish so WOOHOO WATTPAD HERE I COME

hope you enjoyed :) plz consume water and food and don't consume sleep but do go to sleep. also votes and comments and follows are pretty cool too but only if you feel like it.

i'm a bit high off of no sleep right now, so, i'll see you soon! goodbye lovely people!

-Partially Human