Chapter 3- Charlie's Bar

"Alright guys, settle down and let's welcome back Nora." My boss Charlie said to all my fellow employees in the bar. Charlie had made them all gather in the main room and they were now sat on the tables and chairs. I blushed deeply when in a chorus of voices everyone said "Hi Nora". It was such an odd feeling to not know anyone here but have everyone know you. I again cursed my amnesia. "Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome." I gave them a wave and smiled shyly. I didn't want to give a massive speech, mainly because I literally could not remember anyone and trying to come with something on the spot would make this even more awkward.

The bar was actually a nice place, not just to work. It didn't smell like stale beer or cigarrettes, like most bars did. There was a roaring hot fire in the main room, and it smelt like the forbidden cigars the old men who came here smoked, away from the dissaproving eyes of their wives. The bar also didn't just serve alcohol. People came here for tea, cakes, lunch and other marvellous treats that made you drool at the thought. Overall it was a lovely place to work, and I counted myself lucky to have this job. Especially since Charlie had welcomed me back almost immediately. 

Everyone seemed really nice, but there wasn't really anyone who I totally and completely clicked with. I was missing something. But I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was.  On my break I took a sip from my tea and looked around. I was stood outside by myself at the back of the bar. I  had almost forgotten the man from last night, had it just been a bad dream? I mean, he had been gone, and if I had really knocked him out he would have still been there when mom and dad had gone out with me. The more I thought about it the more it made sense to have been a dream. It couldn't have been real.  It was odd to think about, there wasn't a valid reason really for anyone to want to kidnap me, my parents weren't even wealthy or anything. "Crazy dream from a crazy brain." I mumbled to myself, finished the tea and went back inside.

It had been a long day, and I had been asked multiple times by probably everyone if I remembered this or that. I didn't. By the end of the day I was so tired and my feet hurt. I grabbed my old grey Rucksack and made my way to the exit, when Charlie waved me over to him. Charlie was about fifty and looked like a lumberjack. He had kind brown eyes and a big beard, he was like a cool version of Father Christmas.  "What's up?" I smiled leaning on the bar with one arm.
He smiled down at me and put his hand on my shoulder. "I just wanted to say that you did a really good job today." His words made me feel warm. "We are all very glad you're safe and back home kiddo."

Apparently I had been like a daughter to Charlie before the accident. Especially since the day he had lost his own. A nasty car accident. He had come to see me every single day when I had still been unconcious but when I woke up my parents had decided it would be too confusing for me if he kept it up. "Thanks Charlie, glad to be back." I smiled back and made my way home.

At home, I avoided my parents and instead went out to see Onyx. "Hello beautiful boy" I crooned as I approached the fence and reached out to stroke his velvet nose. He neighed as I came closer and pushed his head into my body gently. "What have you been up to all day the you lazy thing?" I stroked his ears and kissed his forehead. "I met Charlie today for the first time, and I saw the bar... I didn't remember anything." I sighed and Shadow searched my pockets for treats. "Yeah, yeah you food machine." I laughed and got a piece of carrot out of my pocket. "Just one." I warned him and let him nip it out of my hand.

With Onyx munching I climbed on the fence and sat down. "What if this is all my life was, and it's so unspectacular that I'll never remember anything?" He ignored me and grazed instead. This had become a sort of daily routine for Onyx and I, I would come home from work and we would speak about my day. Well, I would speak, Shadow would listen and contribute by staring. "The people at the bar seem really nice, and I did try to make friends but I just feel like I'm missing this huge detail and its so annyoing."

"I understand stuff like this takes time but how long am I meant to do this for? Nothing is triggering anything, and I am not going back to hospital again." Onyx stared. "It's been six months."