Chapter seven

Ezra had been traveling on the road with Claire for at least four days now. The two had encountered a dozen zombie shapeshifters with almost non-stop rest. Claire was exhausted, so she put her foot down and said they needed to rest. Ezra didn't want to, but he was tired himself, so they took shelter in an abandoned motel.

"Creepy," Ti commented. Ezra said they had stayed in worse places and asked his spirit animal to keep watch.

"Tell me if you see anything suspicious," Ezra said, giving him a worm to eat.

"Ew, that's a little gross," Claire commented as she set down her stuff. Her sleeping bag was dirty and soon enough, the two would have to find another store to grab some medical supplies and water. Before Ezra could say anything, Claire walked away from him since her phone vibrated. "I gotta take this," she told him.

"Wait, how is your phone still working?" Ezra asked. To his knowledge, all-electric devices stopped working a long time ago, but then again Claire was living with an angel and a nephilim so that was the least surprising thing.

"Look, my phone has a wind-powered battery in it now. Castiel insisted on modifying it when he found me, so my phone would never die," Claire explained. "Now get some sleep," she walked, talking to someone on the other end. Ezra was a little insecure and hoped she wasn't talking to a secret boyfriend or something. Ezra sighed as he lay down on the floor and tried his best to sleep, but he felt he was now regretting leaving Mary behind. Even though they had a fight, he still loved his cousin, and it was wrong for him to take off like that. He decided maybe it would have been best to go find her later. With these thoughts in mind, Ezra had fallen asleep. The next morning, Ezra and Claire awoke to Ti flying in a full sprint.

"Help!" Ti exclaimed as he flew toward Ezra.

"Whoa Ti, what's wrong?" Ezra said as he was trying to wake up.

"What's the big idea? I was having a splendid dream?!" Claire exclaimed.

"Was it me?" Ezra said, attempting to make Claire blush. Claire, embarrassingly, turned away as her face had turned completely red.

"No! Cat!" Ti yelled as a black and white Cat came in ready to strike at Ti. "Don't let him eat me!" Ti landed on Ezra's shoulder, practically trying to hide. Especially since the cat had an almost hungry look.

"Come back, I wanna have you for breakfast," Ghost teased. Ti hid behind Ezra somewhere as Ghost walked right up to Ezra. "Hello, Ezra Allen Winchester,"

"Do all animals talk now?" Claire asked, backing away from the scene.

"Oh Ti, you can relax," Ezra said. "It's just Ghost, my mother's spirit animal," Ezra turned toward Claire. "Well, in my family, yes, they're spirit animals,"

"Yeah okay, I can relax but that hungry look on his face is saying otherwise," Ti said sarcastically.

"Can't fight my natural instincts now Ezra can you please tell your girlfriend to let us have a minute?" Ghost asked. "I have a message from your mother," Ezra's face had paled, he worried that his mother hadn't survived and was probably dead or in danger. Ezra and Claire had denied that they were a couple but Claire had understood and left Ezra alone with two spirit animals.

"What's wrong?!" Ezra said "Are my parents dead? What are you doing here?" he questioned as soon as Claire was out of earshot.

"They are both alive and so are Mary's parents, however, it's brought to their attention that you left your cousins and sister," Ghost explained. Ezra looked guilty but didn't deny what Ghost was saying.

"Okay, yes, it's true I left them, but I was angry," Ezra responded. "They kept an enormous secret from me and rather than telling me, demons and Lucifer told me, I thought they were lying at first but it was true."