Traveling

(Sorry for the time in between, I've had some hectic events going on, and I'm struggling to avoid digging myself into a hole. The chapters will still come out, but they may not be fast. Just bear with me plz.)

"I'm surprised you decided to join us after all that slander of the shield hero." Mike has a genuine surprise in his voice since he was told that kids Ren's age would be more like Motoyasu or Itsuki in terms of being stuck up.

"That's because of what you said before Motoyasu challenged you. I didn't notice it initially, but I thought back to when Naofumi was first accused, and then I realized you were right." Ren was now aware of Myne's deception, and also knew Naofumi was actually innocent. "Besides, there's no way this guy would've had the guts to do that anyway."

"You know, you don't earn someone's trust by badmouthing them." Naofumi said in exasperation.

Meanwhile, Raphtalia was in the front passenger seat, looking at all the screens and switches with a childlike curiosity.

"Just make sure you don't touch anything, I don't want this hog to spiral out of control." Mike warned Raphtalia, who nodded in response, as she kept looking at the various systems.

*Crack*

Mike steps on the brakes, but he slows down slowly to avoid flinging the people inside out.

"I heard a crack?"

"That egg is hatching!"

"Oh right, that egg."

The egg then hatched and to his surprise, two filolials came out, and almost immediately, they perched on Naofumi's head.

"They must think you're their mother!" Raphtalia's eyes sparkled as she spoke.

Naofumi seemed slightly annoyed, "That so?".

Mike jumped off of the warthog and then materialized his MA5D, confusing everyone.

"I'll get us some food, you guys wait here."

He then ran off with immense speed, as the rest of the group decided to set up camp. Mike had managed to get 300 miles away from the city over the course of 4 hours on the warthog. Somehow, it was faster than usual, but Mike didn't question it.

He found some wildlife and pulled out his Magnum. He'd never been hunting before, but he didn't think it would be much harder than killing Insurrectionists or Covenant.

 He'd never been hunting before, but he didn't think it would be much harder than killing Insurrectionists or Covenant

He then activated the Reach-grade camo, so it'd be nearly impossible for animals to see him. But he'd still be more visible if he did move. He stalked a large moose, and with a single shot to the eye socket, he dropped the animal in its tracks, leaving a small tunnel through its eye sockets. Now he had food for his companions, for a few weeks or so.

But he realized that he didn't think about how to transport it back. He could easily drag it back, but then it would be a slower process. He could carry it, but the thing is so large that carrying it would be unwieldy, but then he remembered the hog, so he calls it over, and it appears in front of him. Loading the moose carcass on, he drives back to camp.

Everyone seemed to gag at the sight of Mike skinning at gutting the moose back at camp, and it didn't really help that half of its head was missing, and bleeding onto the floor. Raphtalia particularly was handling it very poorly, completely horrified. Naofumi was a tad grossed out, but only had facial expressions of disgust. Ren was vomiting not too far away. And Mike, well he was handling it like it was nothing, obviously, he's seen much worse in his time serving under the UNSC.

Eventually, the moose was skinned and chopped into pieces, which he then put on a spit to cook.

Raphtalia's eyes were sparkling, and she was visibly drooling from the sight of the meat. The two filolials were a bit reluctant at first to eat the meat but happily gobbled it up when they actually did taste it.

"Are you going to eat too, Mr Chips?" Raphtalia inquired, noticing he still had his helmet on.

"Hm, well I guess I'd be a waste not to eat some." Mike then removed his helmet after the airlock depressurized. "Sorry if my face disappointed you guys.".

Everyone except Naofumi was taken aback. He was visibly aging, yet still as strong, fast, and agile as he was.

His face had several scars, and a rough texture to it, and it was obvious he didn't try to stop the signs of aging from showing. The area around his eyes did have some small wrinkles, but considering his occupation, and age, those were nothing.

"I didn't think you were that old..." Ren put a hand over his mouth, realizing he was just very passive-aggressive. "Sorry! I didn't mean it like that!"

Mike suddenly seemed disappointed. " I really would've thought you know that kind of stuff doesn't affect me in any way. It's nothing compared to what the former covenant has said."

"The, Covenant?"

Mike's face immediately changed, as he looked into the sky, "Yes, the Covenant.". A bitter frown spread across his face, as he remembered seeing a brute rip a man in half before proceeding to kill the rest of his family, not even his children escaped that fate, crushed to death in his hands.

"They're gone now, but there's still remnants of them out there, along with another force that had been fighting them for a while now"

Putting his helmet back on, Mike checked his points, and a grin appeared on his face. With a few more points, he could get an SRS99D-S2. (The sniper rifle from Halo 3).

Raphtalia's ears suddenly perked up. Mike noticed and in less than a second, he was in a combat stance, scanning the area around him and turning on his helmet spotlights. The rest of the group also went on high alert and kept an eye out.

Suddenly, 3 figures appear, and Mike's finger is hovering over the trigger, ready to pull back.

Suddenly one of the figures speaks to them.

"Do not be alarmed, we mean your party no harm."

Mike didn't sense any malicious intent in the voice, so he slightly relaxed his stance, but kept his hands firmly on his rifle.

Mike flatly responded, "State your intentions."

"The Queen wishes to have a word with all of you. There is a danger to this world she needs to discuss. And it's not just the waves."

"The queen, huh? If I remember correctly, this kingdom has a Matriarchy. So that means the queen is above the king, is that correct?"

"You are quite knowledgeable for someone who's been here for so little time."

Suddenly, a large horde of monsters appeared, and without wasting any time, Mike activated his energy sword and charged forward, kicking up dirt as he sprinted in the direction of the horde.

Countless monsters crumbled, as the 200 million-degree plasma cut through them as if they were air. The extreme temperature immediately evaporated any liquid that spilled out and cauterized several of the lacerations, and amputations he made. 

To say everyone was terrified was an understatement, well. That is except for Naofumi, he doesn't feel scared, for reasons he can't understand. 

After about 5 minutes of slicing and pummeling monsters, Mike is finished, and deactivating his sword, he returns to the group, and notices he gained levels. 

"Stats? First time I've heard of them."

All of his stats were high, according to the system his VISR had. And killing all those monsters increased every stat by 10%. He also gained a considerable number of points. Without any further hesitation, he unlocks the sniper he'd been looking forward to obtaining. Holding his arm out, he catches the SRS99D-S2, as it materializes, and holsters it on his back.

"Now that those things are gone, let's meet the queen."