chapter 14 : no body, no crime

"Team four and team five, please go to your towers."

Fear wrapped around my throat, I couldn't open my mouth to say anything. We were in the elevator, crowded. The air was thick with unspoken anxiety.

"Come on, don't lose your spirit." My grandfather broke the silence. "Tug of war needs more than just raw talent."

"Well then, what's it about huh? We just go out and speak to them?" 196 scoffed.

"All you need is a good strategy in tug of war and combined with good teamwork, you'll be able to win when you are against stronger teams." He continued.

"Only one thing can help us now." 244 butted in."It's the lord himself, I know it."

I raised my brow at him. I wasn't a religious person as I got older.

"You can barely stay standing, old man. So shut up and keep all your strength, okay?" 196 fumed at my grandpa.

"Maybe if you stop complaining, it would have been easier for all of us." I jeered, rolling my eyes at him.

It seems sarcasm is how I cope. Good thing he didn't say anything after that.

"Okay, when I was young, we always like tug of war." Grandpa began. "It's a game I know well. And back then, I would always win, even if there was a wrestler on the other team. And it seemed the odd were stuck against us. Listen closely," He paused.

"I'll tell you how my team and I were able to win even when it seemed impossible. First off, having a good leader is important. The person is at the front and keeps an eye on how the other team is doing. And the rest of the team focuses on the back of their leader's head. If the leader seems weak or looks like their spirit is beginning to falter, then the game is already over. And then at the end of the rope, you'll need to have someone strong like the anchor of the ship. After that, it's all about how you arrange the rest of your team. If one player is on the right side, then the next should be on the left. Both of your feet should be facing forward, and hold the rope under your arm. That way everyone can put in all of their strength.

"Finally, the most important thing. Once the game begins, for the first ten seconds you have to hold your ground. You should lean back as hard as you can and throw your head back to the point where you can almost see the groin of the person behind you."

"If you do that, the other team won't be able to pull us to their side. Just hold like that for ten seconds. The opposing team will get frustrated because they believed they're much stronger. If you can hold out for that long, you will be able to catch a moment in your opponents' hold, and their rhythm breaks."

Everyone listened intently. My grandfather tipped us off with his eye-opening advice. Now it was all about arranging our team. We agreed Gihun should be at the front and Ali at the back. I was placed in the middle.

The doors opened, and we walked out onto the platform and got ready to play. We alternated sides, with Gihun at the front and Ali at the back. The guards chained
our wrists to the rope so we couldn't get out of it.

When the guards were done, all of us grabbed the rope, remembering what my grandfather told us. We hold it under our arms, our feet facing forward. The other team readying their selves.

A guard flapped the flag and a gunshot was heard, making me flinch a little. I inhaled deeply, reminding myself to get it together. Altogether, we leaned back as far as we could, holding our ground so our opponent wouldn't be able to pull us.

The strategy was working since the other team was struggling to tug us forward. I counted up to ten in my head and Gihun gave the command when the other team was getting frustrated.

"Now!" With that, we tugged on the rope repeatedly. All of us were grunting as our bodies jerk backward. Our opponent didn't see that coming.

It gave us the upper hand, the little red flag moving to our side. However, the other team instantly regained their strength. Now we were losing our grounds.

I whimpered, feeling my knuckles turn white on the rope. We can't lose. I tugged as hard as I could, determined to win but it wasn't enough. "We're fucking losing! Do something!" I cried out.

"Everyone! I want to try something!" Sangwoo shouted. "On my signal, let's take three steps up!"

"Three steps?! That's the ledge!" the crazy woman screeched.

"Do you have a better idea?!" I yelled, getting frustrated. There's nothing to do other than follow Sangwoo and hope for the best.

"There's no way I'm doing it!!" She screamed again.

"On the count of three!... One!..... Two!..... Three!" On command, all of us took three agonizing steps forward. The other team fell down and Gihun was just barely standing on the platform, swaying back and forth unsteadily.

"Pull now!" Sangwoo shouted. I pulled with all the strength I have along with the others. Without a doubt, team five ended up losing their footing. Their bodies being dragged helplessly against the platform.

We kept pulling until they got to the ledge. Eventually, they lose their strengths and tumbled over. The tension from the rope loosened for a moment and then tightened, making it hard for us to keep pulling.

The blade cut the rope before we could make it to the edge. All of us collapsed on the floor.  My chest rose and fell rapidly, having a hard time catching my breath. I felt hot with the adrenaline. I could feel my heart and pulse beating fast. And my throat was aching.

We almost die if it weren't for Sangwoo's life-threatening idea. Relief flowed over me as the guards came towards us to undo our handcuff.

My eyes traveled down to my hands, it was covered in bruises. But for some reason, I wasn't frantic about my well-taken-cared skin being blemished. All I care about now is that I'm alive and I came out in one piece. Although, I can't deny that it stings.

When I stood up, the floor swayed beneath me. I stopped for a sec to regain my balance but the masked guard held my arm harshly, leading me to the elevator.

"Imbecile." I rolled my eyes. Fuck, that just made my dizziness worse. I walked to the corner of the elevator.

The air was hot inside the cramped elevator, making it hard for me to breathe.

I dropped down, sitting with my knees to my chest. I closed my eyes, burying my face in my arms. I felt sticky with sweat, I want to shower so bad.

"Hey dude, who you think you're praying to?" I heard the woman.

I didn't pay attention as I felt something dripping down my nose. I brought my hands to where the liquid was coming from. With my head still down, I looked at my fingers.

Warm dark red covered my fingers. Panic struck me for the nth time now. I immediately pulled the neckline of my t-shirt to wipe my nose. Good thing my jacket was still rolled up to my elbows.

I looked up to try to stop the bleeding, holding the upper part of my t-shirt to block my nose. I was breathing in my mouth. I closed my eyes again, reassuring myself silently.

---------------------------

Please vote and comment your thoughts !! <33