chapter 9 : bury me face down

I woke up in a blur. Bright lights and the announcement over the speaker stirred me up from my slumber.

My mind and body were in an awful state. I had a hard time sleeping last night. Trying my best to wake up, I rubbed my eyes and got up.

I climbed down from my bed when I saw everyone in line getting breakfast. As I got closer to the front, I saw the food they were handing us; a pastry and milk.

Gosh, I'm starving.

Not long after, it was now my turn. I impatiently grabbed the food and drink then made my way to my 'team'.

Everyone was now seated there so I took the only spot left. I sat between Sangwoo and player 199.

Feeling thirsty, I chose to open the milk first. I gripped the lid, twisting it until my knuckles turned red. Stupid lid! Why do you have to be so dense?

"Let me." Sangwoo saw me struggling and grabbed the bottle from my hands. He easily opened it before handing it to me.

"Thank you." I muttered, our fingers almost touching.

I drank the milk in half, careful not to choke. Then I opened my pastry and started munching on it.

Unconsciously, my eyes strayed to Sangwoo and saw him looking at the girl with the number 67.

"Sir, why aren't you eating that?" 199 broke the silence, pointing at Sangwoo's pastry.

"Here, have it." He offered, handing the bread to 199.

"Do you mean it?" 199 carefully asked.

"I don't eat most mornings."

Player 199 thanked him and took the bread.

"Hey I just noticed, where are your glasses?" I remember him wearing a glasses last time.

"Oh, I lost it." he answered briefly.

"Ah, I see." I wonder how he can see without his glasses but that's not my business anymore.

For some reason, I wanted to talk to him more but a classical music played on the speaker, capturing everyone's attention.

"Attention. The second game will begin shortly. Please follow the staff's instructions and make your way towards the game hall."

I swallowed hard and took everything in me to stand up.

The guards led us all through the paint-like staircases and into the room where the game will take place.

The doors opened revealing a children's playroom. There was sand, swings and slides, and the walls painted with blue and clouds.

The whole room looked innocent, it's almost creeping me out.

"Attention all participants. Before we begin, please make a line in front of the guards to choose a shape. "

The shapes were triangle, circle, star, and umbrella. I have no idea what they are for. I looked around at the others to see them just as confused as me.

Masked guards were standing at every corner, holding their guns.

My eyes went back to the front. The first thing I saw was Triangle. It was my intuition telling me.

I started to walk towards the triangle line. I didn't join my team's discussion, too focused in my thoughts. I didn't even notice Sangwoo behind me. I guess he chose triangle too.

Upon receiving a small tin, I found myself going under the huge slide. Without delay, I opened the lid. My heart dropped when I saw what was inside.

Despite the fact that it was the easiest shape, honeycomb was hard and thin. One wrong move and I'm over.

"The shape you have chosen is the shape you will carve out of the honeycomb. If you remove it without breaking or cracking, you will pass. Those who break or crack the shape will be eliminated. You have 10 minutes. With that let the game begin."

The timer above went on and I could feel the atmosphere tensed. My hands started to shake when I picked up the needle. I closed my eyes in frustration, taking a deep breath.

I felt someone over me. My head jerked up and saw the masked guard with a camera attached to his torso. I glared at him and mumbled profanities.

"bitchass." I don't care if he heard it. I was infuriated, I want to cry. I didn't sign up for this!

The masked guards were all over the room, monitoring the players with guns in their hands. Which made me more anxious and stressed.

After what felt like an eternity of calming my nerves. I reluctantly scraped one side of the triangle, making sure I was moving carefully.

Silence filled the room as we worked. Until a ringing gunshot was heard, startling me. I felt my throat go dry and my breathing quickened.

The only thing that was heard was the body sliding down the slide. The slide I was under in.

I dropped the needle and covered my face. I was trying so hard to not have a breakdown. It took everything I had not to sob out loud in the quiet room.

Few more gunshots rang out. I breathe in heavily, easing my nerves. I forced myself to continue and carve the remaining shape. My breath hitching as I work.

I bit my lip in concentration. Few more scraping and I'm done. I looked at the timer, we only got 5 minutes left.

I continued working, wanting this shit to be over. There were several players already completed the task and left the room to go back to the main hall.

Stray tears ran down my cheeks, not bothering to wipe them. My mind was too focused on not fucking up the cookie.

Painful moments passed. I successfully carved the shape in one piece. Tears threatened to fall again. I let out a sigh of relief and wiped my eyes.

Picking up the triangle, I stood and showed it to the guard. Then I decided to bring the cookie to my mouth before sticking my tongue out at him. I don't care that it was an immature thing to do and he can't kill me anyway. After all, I deserve that cookie for passing the second game.

"Player 018 passes."

----------------------------

Votes and comments are appreciated :)