chapter 4 : bury a friend

I was about to yell at my grandfather again when a guard in a circle mask held my arm harshly.

He shoved me to the front. Then he thrust his gun to my lower back, warning me. I glared at him, even though I can't see his eyes. I breathed heavily through gritted teeth.

The other guards started instructing everyone to form a line and lead us back to the main hall.

I crossed my arms, occasionally glancing at my grandpa with narrowed eyes.

Once we arrived, the people scattered around the hall. Some went to their beds, the others remained on the ground floor conversing with one another, and some sat on steps of the bunk beds.

I silently followed my grandpa to his bed, thinking of how to confront him. I don't know where to start and what to say.

He sat on his bed, grunting. I sat on the bed just across his, refusing to be near him. Sadly, I don't know anyone here so I had no choice but to just stick with him. My whole body was aching so I relaxed my limbs and control my breathing.

Now that I think about it, I was closer to him than my own father. My father and I kind of grew apart ever since my biological mom passed away.

"Aren't you gonna say anything?" I grumbled, looking at him in the eyes.

"We can't talk about it here, y/n. But I can tell you that it's not for you to worry about." he countered.

"Not for me to worry-" I got cut off by player 456, calling my grandpa.

I turned my head to his direction. Behind him was the guy who saved him and... Sangwoo. I immediately looked away when our eyes meet.

Player 456 and my grandpa started conversing cheerily, even the foreigner guy joined. They were talking about how my grandpa survived despite his old age and how the foreigner saved player 456.

I awkwardly sat there, not wanting to join their conversation. I fumbled with the hem of my jacket as I subtly looked at Sangwoo.

He was standing a few feet from me, adjusting his glasses. He was also just listening to the others talking. Nodding and giving a short answer when being asked.

"And who is this girl right here? I noticed you two were always beside each other. Are you both related?"

All eyes were on me now.

I looked at player 456 with no emotions. His beaming smile quickly faded. I get that a lot. People say I have a resting bitch face, that's why they're scared to be friends with me.

"No, we're not related. She came to me just before the game started asking if I was feeling okay." my grandpa denied, still smiling.

"You're such a sweet kid caring for elder people like that. Your parents must've raised you well." Player 456 suggested.

I was about to open my mouth but got cut off.

"Indeed. Just by looking at her, I could tell she was raised by a kind and loving parent." grandpa answered for me.

I deadpanned him. "Yeah, they are so loving to the point where they sent their daughter to play a game as a punishment." My voice filled with sarcasm.

Player 456 let out a forced laugh, pretending to understand what I said. My grandpa swiftly changed the topic to avoid the awkward atmosphere I started.

I felt Sangwoo staring at me so I looked back at him. I was feeling exasperated so I had a grit to stare back.

Our eye contact was interrupted by the large doors opening. The masked men walked to the stage, keeping their formation. The square one was on the very front.

"You have all made it through the first game. Congratulations. I will now announce the results of the first game." the square greeted us.

The TV displayed above showed the number of us. The number dropped from 456 down to 202.

"Out of the 456 players, 254 were eliminated and 202 players have successfully completed the first game."

"Mister, please." a woman begged on her knees. She looked middle aged with long black curly hair. "I swear I'll pay it all off. I'll do it. Please sir... "

I just stood there, listening to her cries. Guilt washed through me. I couldn't do anything. There were men with their guns looking over us. They would just shoot me if I do anything. I don't want to die yet.

"I have a child so young! I still need to register and name my child sir! Please let me leave!"

I glanced at my grandpa to see his reaction. He doesn't seem to be fazed at all. All of us were quiet.

Another woman kneeled down, begging to leave. The people at the front joined as well, pleading to stop the game and let us go.

It was devastating. I myself want to get away from this hellhole.

"There seems to be a misunderstanding." The square exclaimed. "We're not here to hurt you or collect your debts. Let me remind you that we're here to give you a chance."

The people roared in protest.

"Consent form clause 1. A player may not stop playing the game."

"You can't keep us here! The police will be here in no time seeing that we're all missing!" A man blurted. "I bet they're tracking our phones now. You won't get away with it."

Everyone followed suit, yelling to let us go already. Suddenly, the square fired his gun in the air to silence everyone. I flinched, covering my ears immediately.

The horror that happened just moments ago replayed in my mind. My breathing quickened, I could feel the sweat forming in my palms.

And then, I felt a hand rubbing my back. I turned my head only to meet Sangwoo's concerned eyes.

"They won't harm you. It's over now." Sangwoo whispered to my ear in a gentle manner before giving me a reassuring smile.

And for some reason, it gave me comfort. I inhaled deeply, feeling my heartbeat quickened. But it was not because I was scared, it was because of something else. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Consent form clause 2. A player that refuses to play will be eliminated." the square continued.

"Consent form clause 3. If all players agree to stop playing, the games are allowed to end." Sangwoo spoke up. The crowd agreeing.

"Alright. We will take a vote to decide on the termination of the game. But before we vote, let me announce the prize money for the game as previously promised."

He pressed the remote making the pig above us buzz and a metal tube came down.

Stacks of money started dropping out of the metal tube. It kept going for about a minute. Everyone, including me stared at it, mesmerized. Eventually, it stopped. Woah, I could buy a whole chanel collection with that money!

God! What is wrong with me?! I shouldn't be thinking about those stuff right now! There's more important things that I should worry about!

"A total of 254 players was eliminated. A hundred million won was at stake per play. Therefore, 25.4 billion won has been accumulated so far. If you wish to stop playing, the 25.4 billion won will go to the bereaved families of the late players. However, you will return empty handed."

"Sir, If we complete all six games, then how much do we get?" the same woman asked.

"Since there were 456 players, the total prize will be 45.6 billion won, and with, let's begin the voting."

------------------------

Votes and comments are appreciated :>