chapter 6 : angel baby

I woke up with a dull headache. Still feeling worn out, I slowly opened my eyes. A familiar ceiling met my eyes.

Shocked and relieved came through my body. I hugged the nearest pillow, squeezing it. Oh how I missed the cozy feeling of my bed.

It's true what they say, you only appreciate things when you lost them. My eyes scanned the whole of my bedroom. It's just exactly how I left it.

I yawned before stretching my body. I still feel tired but I forced myself to get up to take a nice hot shower.

After a well deserved shower, I went to my closet to pick an outfit. I'm not planning on going out today so I just chose something simple and comfortable.

A beige cropped tank top, and a white cotton shorts. I also put on an oversized white jacket. I brushed my hair, letting it dry. After that, I went down to get something to eat.

I looked at the clock just above the kitchen counter. It was now 2:30 in the afternoon. What time did I arrive here?

I tried to remember everything but it was all a blur. My last memory of yesterday was the voting and the guards bidding farewell. I couldn't remember anything after that. Gosh! Did they do something to me?

I just chose to ignore it because it was now over. I'm not stuck there anymore.

I just toasted a bread since I'm not that starving. All of a sudden, the face of the man dead on top of me came to my mind. I almost threw up, I didn't have anymore appetite.

I forced my mind to think of anything else other than that. A maid came by to ask if I'm feeling well. I just told her I'm okay even though I'm far from being okay. Also, I need to ask where my father is.

"Have you seen my father?"

"He left early this morning, y/n. Why?" the maid smiled at me, softly.

"Nothing" I just shook my head.

I wanted to asked him everything about the game. Was he the one who created that brutal game? What was the reason?

I shivered just thinking how I'm related to a murderer.

After a while of overthinking, I decided to go back to my room and check my phone. I plopped on my bed and reached for my phone on the bedside table. The screen was bombarded by Sung-ho's texts and calls.

bitch where the hell are you?
- sunghoe

answer me whore!!
- sunghoe

what the hell are you dead??!!!?!?!
- sunghoe

HELLO? ARE YOU IGNORING ME?!
- sunghoe

OMFG BITCH YOU'RE MAKING ME WORRIED
- sunghoe

It wasn't even half of his messages. My inbox was full because of him. But I'm also grateful he cares for me.

I figured I should call him and tell him to come to my house. Not only because I missed him but I wanted to tell him everything that happened.

Momentarily, a slam of my door woke me up from my zoning out. And a wild Sung-ho appeared.

"What happened? Where did you go? You got some explaining to do, y/n" that's how he greeted me.

So i told him every single thing. From the outfit to the masked guards to the red light green light to the guns to the money. Not leaving any detail behind.

I even told him about Sangwoo and how he was the one to save me.

Sung-ho was quiet, listening attentively to all I was saying. After I was done narrating, he was left speechless. Like he also experienced the horror that happened.

"I think I've heard of that 'game' before. I've heard it from my dad. But I just can't remember the 'killing part'." he trailed off.

"You bitch, what if your dad and my dad are both involved in creating that shit?" I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Then we better find out. Let's ask them later... Well how about you? Are you okay? I'm almost sure the outfit alone made you traumatized. What more a witnessing death right before your eyes?" he asked, getting serious.

"I think just developed a fear of loud noises. After the game, a guard fired a bullet in the air to silence the players and it triggered me. I don't know, maybe I need to see a doctor first." I said, not meeting his eyes.

It was now night time. Sung-ho left just before the sky go dark. I went down stairs to get some water. Right on time, the front door opened and my father entered.

I immediately went to him, crossing my arms.

"Oh, you're awake. How are you? Did you enjoy your stay there?" he asked, putting his shoes on the shoe rack.

"What the hell was that? Many people were killed?! And you're just standing there like you know nothing?!" I began, getting mad.

"Let's talk at the table. I'm gonna need you to understand." he gestured for me to follow, his tone getting serious.

I started to get anxious but still followed him to the dining area. He took a sit and looked at me. I refused, just standing across the table.

"Listen, y/n, I know that placed surprised you but I want you to understand that it was necessary. You saw what happened there, right? And you saw how people still begged to continue the game even after knowing the cost? You see? Grandpa created the game along with his business partners to give a chance to those less unfortunates." He went on.

I didn't say anything. I was trying to let the words sink in to me.

That's true. Half of the people begged to complete the game because they said it was just as bad as living out here.

"And you know how grandpa has a brain tumor right? He wanted to experience the fun again when he was young."

Heavy silence enveloped us until he speaks again.

"The game will resume. Most of the players have no choice but to go back and win the prize." He stated confidently.

"How would you know that?" I broke my silence, meeting his gaze.

"Same exact thing happened every year.... And once the game carry on, I'm gonna need to send you back there-"

"WHAT?! No, you won't! Please!" I looked at him with wide eyes. Just when I thought I was finally free from that horrifying experience. He didn't even ask if I was doing well.

"Grandpa wanted to join the game once more. He insisted that you don't have to come along with him but think of it as returning the favor." he suggested, with a tone of finality.

I didn't say anything. He was right, grandpa did everything for me when I was just little and even up until now.

I let out an exasperated sigh before stamping my feet to go to my room. Even if I say anything, I know he wouldn't listen. Everything that my dad says shall always be complied. One of the many reasons why people fear him.

I couldn't sleep the whole night. My mind was racing with thoughts of the many possibilities that would happen there.

-----------------------

Votes and comments are appreciated :3