My Sister, The Troublemaker

Start from the beginning

But when I finally went to get my blessings and receive my magic, all I had was Wind, Earth, and Nature. Unlike the crowd, who were gasping in awe and reverence, I was sulking. I kept thinking, 'Sister had so many attributes, why don't I?'

I got home and asked my parents if I was weak.

My parents looked at me in confusion and Mother replied, "Now, whatever are you talking about, Alden? You have two common attributes and one rare attribute! You are a genius!"

I still kept my sullen expression and retorted, "But Sister has so many attributes! Water, Air, Wind, Fire, Ice, Nature, Light, Darkness, Beast Taming, Physical Enhancement, Dimension, Creation, Destruction, Gravity, Summoning, Descension! That's what she said she had! So why do I only have three!"

My parents chuckled nervously and kind of tiredly. They seemed to be worn out when I mentioned Sister. Are they okay? "Your sister is... a special case. You see... before she even went to the temple to get blessed, she manifested her powers." Father informed me. My jaw dropped. That is impossible!

"Huh?! That- then, when did she manifest her powers?"

"At... two." My mother whispered.

"Two years old?!" I was taken aback.

"No, Alden... two weeks old." After my father stated the truth, rubbing his temple in exasperation, I immediately collapsed from shock. S-Sister... what?

----

I woke up and saw my parents and Sister looming over me. "Oh! Little Al, you're finally awake~" She embraced me and squeezed me tight.

My father and mother had rather worried expressions on their faces. "Goodness... I haven't seen that kind of reaction to Ali's powers since..." Mother mumbled.

"Alden, you have been unconscious for two hours. Are you all right?" Father inquired.

I nodded. "So... sister manifested her powers at two weeks old? Did anything happen after that? I heard she was called a 'prodigy' by the servants. Did she do anything else?"

"Well, you see, Alden... There is much that we haven't told you, actually. Not only did she manifest air magic at two weeks, she also manifested water soon after. A few other powers came after that." My mother sighed. A few... others? What do they take magic for, to say a few?

"And... it sounds like there is more?" I probed deeper into the topic. What has Sister hid from me? I looked at her expression. She seemed to have a carefree smile on her face, one that said, 'Oops! I guess I haven't told you, huh? Oh, my bad~' I got annoyed by that expression.

"Well, you see. When she manifested her second element, Water, it was when she was four weeks old. But... she was doing that because she escaped from her crib and to the library. Sh-she was surrounded by a tower of books in the main library, and..." Father stopped.

"And...?"

"...And she was reading a book."

"R-reading? At four weeks old? Are you joking?" I was sure that I was making a very strange face right now, but I couldn't help it.

Mother just sighed, and continued on from Father. "Yes, reading. She was reading a book on Laplace's Mana Cascade Theory, and actually put it into practice after reading it."

My jaw dropped open. I mean it, my jaw literally just... dropped open. Mana Cascade... that is an extremely difficult theory to practice, and it takes a year for wizards to master it...

"Please, get over this. She had a lot of 'accidents' as a child, but there is an even greater... thing, that Ali had done during her childhood." My mother looked very tired and very vexed right now. I could see that my fearless sister was now shivering in freight from Mother's fierce aura. What happened for Mother to get so worked up?

"Sigh... You see, Alden... have you ever heard of physical enhancement using the earth element as a foundation?" I nodded. "Well... at age two, your sister was actually the person who created this concept." They didn't even give me a chance to faint again before continuing.

"Alice was gifted with the sword as well. But one day, as a novice, she accidentally broke a wooden pole. At age two." Father breathed a sigh before continuing. "You see, Alden. Alice was actually getting fed up with getting left behind by the other knights. So... on a whim, she created a new magic called Physical Strengthening. After the incident that happened before this one, your mother and I just thought that she might just be gifted... but alas, the growth of her strength was too vast in a short period of time, so we couldn't help but get suspicious... but I didn't get too worried. I thought to myself, 'What could she have possibly done?'. Yes, I thought that. But when I asked her what happened, she said, 'Well, I created a new magic, obviously.'"

I was fully confounded now. My sister... created the theory of physical strengthening... she...

"Sigh... I was so lost in the moment. I told her to write a 1000 page essay on her magic. I didn't think she would actually write one... and on a strange metal plate, no less... then after that, she showed us her dissertation on it... Ahhh, Alden, why?!"

I now felt that instead of being fed information on my sister's childhood, I was becoming a therapist for my two pathetic parents. Poor them. Having to deal with my sister... I felt my sister glaring at me. Did she hear my thoughts?

And so, my father and mother's frustrated ranting began for about one hour. My sister mostly had a sheepish smile on her face, while I just kept my flabbergasted one, as I was at a loss for words. And, by the time the session ended, I saw that my sister disappeared. Ahhh, is she worried that she'll be chastised by Father and Mother? Did she run into her space? Hahahaha... standard Sister. But my laughs (in my thoughts) were half-hearted and reluctant, and I was starting to wonder what 'standard' meant for Sister.