Chapter 2 [Interlude]: The Act of Living Everyday (Fin. Part)

The pavilion away in the forests of Bai He peak was serene. The vast, hanging trees swayed gently over the the shelter of the pavilion, leaves falling into the clear and shallow pond in front of the gazebo. There were no disturbances here. Only the quiet company of the occasional chirping of the birds and the ambience of the trees and water. [Name] tilted his head down to look at the pond. His reflection in the water showed his blank face and someone who wasn't... himself. The reflection rippled away instantly as a leaf fell onto the face in the water. [Name] leaned down slightly to catch the leaf in the water between his fingers before it could float away.

[Name] had needed to get away from reality for a while, especially after that breakdown he had. Even though it was concealed in the privacy of his house, it was still embarrassing to look back on. So, an idea had appeared in his head. Why not meditate in the calmness of nature? There was a forest near his house, so there could be something inside it. This was also a chance to explore more, especially since he needed to know how to navigate his way around his own peak as a peak lord. Plus, there was nothing else on his schedule today.

And so, he had stumbled upon this place. It wasn't too far from his house, however you would not be able to see it if you were outside of the forest. Now he was kneeling in the empty pavilion with his hair tied in a loose but neat braid. He chose to abandon the hair ornament, it was too troublesome to put back on and no one would be seeing him in this state.

That was what he originally thought.

Quiet footsteps behind him gathered [Name]'s attention immediately. He let go of the leaf in his hands and turned his head to see who was approaching.

'Ah,' thought [Name]. It was Mu Qingfang. [Name] stood up and brushed off his robes.

He inwardly grimaced at being seen with such a casual hairdo, "Mu-shixiong. What brings you here?"

"Xiang-shidi, my apologies for disturbing. I am here to deliver your prescribed incense sticks that you wanted last week," Mu Qingfang replied with a soft voice as he walked to stand in front of [Name] in the pavilion.

'Xiang Qingxue probably ordered this before I transmigrated." Thought [Name], 'I didn't even know prescription incense existed.'

[Name] bowed in thanks as he received the small packages. He asked after consideration, "What scents are which?"

Mu Qingfang responded with a kind smile as he pointed to each, "This one has lavender and ylang-ylang with frankincense. The other package has a mild cinnamon scent with mugwort. Both are good for calming anxiety and focusing. They contain medicinal properties; and the cinnamon is more musky than the lavender and ylang-ylang. If you'd like, I can let you try out a rose scented incense. It is quite popular in Qian Cao at the moment, all the rooms smell like it."

"Thank you, shixiong."

Mu Qingfang shook his head, "I am merely doing my job."

The physicist glanced at [Name]'s braid and back to his face. He complimented, "You do look nice when you have your hair up like this. Where did you learn how to, if I may ask?"

[Name] blinked in surprise at the compliment and question, and reached a hand up to touch his braid. He replied after a small pause, "I used to tie my little sister's hair everyday."

Mu Qingfang sensed that [Name] seemed reluctant to reveal any more, and so he smiled again before nodding. "I'm sure your sister enjoyed having you do her hair. Thank you for tolerating my presence, shidi. I will be leaving now. If you would like to meet up again soon, do not hesitate to reach out to me."

[Name] bowed shallowly as Mu Qingfang left. He let the silence of the forest drown his thoughts.

He turned his head back to the pond when the doctor was out of sight. He sighed and whispered to the wind, "Feiyan ah, your big brother misses you dearly."