Chapter 15: Revelations

The first thing Becky heard in the morning was an aggressive knock on her door. She groggily pulled herself out of bed. Last night had been the first time in a while she had actually gotten a lot of sleep. Not for any good reason though, mostly just because the lack of sleep had added up and her body forced her to catch-up on the hours she had missed. She sleepily reached a hand out to grab her watch, only to touch something pointy. A handful of clear chips. Becky rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and noticed there were four of them sitting there, beside a note. She picked it up and read through it.

Hi Becky,
I wanted to thank you and the others for your help last night. You've truly helped me realise how dangerous Amelia can be. Which is why I can't let her win this Phase. I don't know what's in store for the winner, but I don't trust Amelia with it. That's why I'm giving you the rest of my clear chips. She has twelve and I know you have nine yourself, so this four should bring you up to thirteen. Please do not return these to me, I have made up my mind and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
Good luck today,
Lisa

Becky couldn't believe what she was reading. Kleinman was throwing her life away just to stop Amelia? This had to have been why she was acting so strange. Becky had to stop her, quickly. She ran to the door and threw it open.

"Jesus!" Ted exclaimed. Becky had almost forgotten that someone was at her door.

"Sorry Ted," Becky replied. "I need to find Kleinman quickly, let's go to breakfast."

"That's what I came to talk to you about Becky," Ted explained. "I was going to wake you up for breakfast, but Lisa insisted that you get some sleep since you have been working hard the past few days. You missed breakfast. I came to get you because the punishment is about to start and if you don't come then Paul will kill you."

"Punishment already!?" Becky exclaimed. "Dammit Lisa! She made sure I couldn't trade these back! Let's go, there might still be time. Where are we going?"

"It's the usual lobby. It looks very different now."

Ted and Becky ran for the lobby. Becky just hoped they weren't already too late.

***

The crazy eyes are back again. I sit up. He sees my improvement and lets me know that I am ready to join the game again. I nod slowly.

"Before you go Hannah," he tells me. "I have a gift for you. It's not from me but someone insisted you take them. Hold out your hand."

I oblige and he tips nine metal tokens into my hand. Naturally I'm confused, but I don't question it.

He helps me up out of the hospital bed. My knees are weak. It's been days since I have stood up. Eventually, I regain my composure. We walk out together, the metal still in my hand.

***

Paul smiles at Becky and Ted as they rush into the hall.

"And that's ten people!" he announced, cheerfully. "We are now ready to move onto the punishment-"

"Wait!" Becky shouted. "I still need to trade tokens!"

She shot a look in Lisa's direction, which got an awkward shuffle in response.

"You still need to trade?" asked Paul, perplexed. "You've had five days! That's more than enough time! I'm afraid I can't allow that. What happens will happen."

He smiled as he said those last words. Becky wanted to punch him in the face.

"Before we begin however," he paused. "I would like you all to get to talk to someone again. Especially since it could be your last time seeing her. Come on in Hannah Perkins!"