Chapter 10: The Beginning of the End

"Recount them Meister," Becky commanded. "You have to be mistaken."

There was no way this could be happening right now. Everyone was going to vote for her. It was all going to be over. Becky was going to see all her friends walk off into safety. Everyone had been given the perfect way out. But now someone amongst them had voted for her to live? Just one? It was out of the realm of possibility. It had to be a miscount. There's no chance anyone would blow this opportunity.

"I don't think so Becky," he replied. "It's hard to miscount a vote when only 9 people are involved.

"Then you must be lying," Becky snapped, matter-of-factly. "It's the only other logical explanation I can think of."

"I'm afraid I have been entirely honest with you, Becky," Meister replied. "I can't lie here, even if I wanted to. The software prevents a misvote. There's no way for anyone to intercept the voting. It's all done on a secure LAN connection to avoid hacking and the voting tablets all require your fingerprint to work."

If it couldn't be Meister's slip up or lie, then what the hell had happened? Becky wasn't exactly sure there was another possible scenario. Not one she liked anyway. But there had to be, didn't there. Because someone saved the death game from the jaws of defeat.

"You know," Amelia started. "There is one other scenario I can think of."

"Which is?" Hero asked, with an intrigued tone.

"You of all people should know Hero. The possibility of a traitor in our midst."

"Why should I, of all people, know that, Amelia?" Hero asked, furrowing his brow. "I believe it was actually Ted that first brought up the possibility of a traitor, no? I must say I don't like you tone."

"I didn't say you of all people should know because I thought you suggested the idea. I'm saying you of all people because, out of everyone here, you are the most suspicious, Hieronymus."

"Whoa whoa," Becky interrupted. "How come Hero's suspicious? He's been nothing but helpful this entire time!"

"Has he really, Becky?" Amelia asked. "I think something might be up with your memory. He hasn't really done anything helpful. He couldn't save Bruce, which I would argue makes him very much unhelpful. The only helpful thing he did was share the info on Asunaro - information he just conveniently knew because 'his dad is a cop'. Doesn't that seem a little too-good-to-be-true? Besides, none of us know anything about the guy. He's the most likely to be a traitor."

He hasn't done anything helpful at all? Becky thought. He called you a bitch, that's good enough for me.

"Well, if no-one knowing him makes it all the more likely he's a traitor," Kleinman argued. "Then why is Anthony not also incredibly suspicious?"

"Simple Lisa," Amelia replied. "We're in... well, we've got to know each other very well over the last two days. We're kinda going out now. Just to see how it goes. We could die here; no-one wants to die alone. So that's why he's safe."

Kleinman just sat in stunned silence. Becky was starting to put two and two together. The reason Kleinman always resented Anthony and Amelia together. She must... like Amelia? Either that, or Becky's gaydar needed to be sent in for repair. Although being bi herself, Becky had a pretty good sense for these things.

"So let me get this straight," Hero started, bringing them back to the matter at hand. "Your argument is that someone here is a traitor because they are an unfamiliar face? But shouldn't it be the opposite way around? You all know each other very well. Isn't that odd? I would personally think if there's a traitor, they have some sort of mutual link to everyone. And that would mean it's way more likely to be one of you than Anthony or I."