Chapter 6: Bad Blood

Becky was outraged. Her? Apologise? It would have been a hilarious joke had Amelia not delivered it with a completely straight face. Becky had taken four years of abuse from Amelia and the Lisas. In fact, all of her other brainless followers too. And Amelia got away with it all because of her popularity. No teacher would have dared accuse Amelia of anything. Becky felt her blood boil; a burning, fiery rage awakening inside her. She though Paul was going to be the most annoying person down here but clearly that was incorrect. It took Becky all the self-control she had to not scream.

"Apologise?" she asked, through gritted teeth. Amelia nodded.

"Of course, honey," she replied. "You see, you made my high school life torture. That Dux role belonged to me, the lead chair in our orchestra belonged to me. You stole those things from me Becky, when you clearly didn't deserve them. You may have talent, but these honours belong to people actually exist in social circles. Normal people like me, that people actually want to talk to, be friends with, et cetera. You were lucky I even let you talk to me and my friends."

"Sorry, you think I'm the problem, Amelia?" Becky asked, finally remembering how to form a full sentence. "You know, it took me a lot of effort to say the things I did just there. I wish we could get along like we did in Primary, I pretended that that was a possibility. But no. It was never going to be possible. Not after the abuse I've suffered from you. You made me thoughts that no-one should ever have to have. The constant snide remarks, the little demeaning things you would do to make my day just that little bit worse, plus the fact you would always go out of your way to exclude me; not just behind my back but right in front of me as well. Sometimes I'd leave school and just consider never coming back, one way or the other. If it wasn't for the Costa Crew, I don't know what I'd have done. And still, after all we just went through today, you insist that I don't deserve everything I've achieved. You're still demeaning to me just because you're jealous. I thought you might have changed but clearly that was very much wishful thinking. So I'm not the problem Amelia, you need to check yourself out very seriously. I'm not the 'unrelenting cold-hearted' one here. And for the record, it's my friends and I, not me and my friends."

Amelia watched in horror as Becky spoke. Not horror at the sudden realisation of how horribly she had treated Becky but rather horror at how Becky was slandering her. As far as she could see she deserved none of it.

"So that's how it is then," Amelia said, plainly. "Well, I'm not apologising when I clearly did nothing wrong You asked for everything you got with that smirk you give every time you succeeded. For that voice you use when you give a speech that says 'Wow, I'm Becky and I'm better than you Amelia'. And besides, it's not my fault my friends found you intolerable. So, I guess we're at an impasse."

Becky wasn't even mad at Amelia anymore, just horribly disappointed.

"So, what do we do now? I can still act civilised, I pretended you didn't get to me for 4 years so I can sure as hell keep it up. I'm guessing little-old entitled you over there will struggle with that one." Becky asked.

"Well, I sure as hell will not work together with you."

"Well, how about teams then. Work together as much as possible." Becky said.

"Great, anyone that finds Becky insufferable please join my team," Amelia announced. Becky had forgotten how painfully dramatic she always was. Lisa Kleinman immediately headed towards Amelia's side, dragging Beck behind her. Charlotte, Hannah and Ted on the other hand, all walked towards Becky.

"There's no way in hell we're ever ditching you," Ted said, tightly hugging Becky. Ted always showed his affection very physically. Becky was just glad it was hugs she got and not punches like Paul used to get. Paul? She hadn't remembered that interaction for a while. In fact, she had found it hard to remember anything distinct about Paul. It was as if someone had sealed her memories away and they were now being slowly opened back up. Not that it mattered anyway, there's no way in which a memory about Paul could help them here anyway. Becky now focussed on Hero and Anthony who stood in the middle, unable to pick a side. That made sense since they didn't really know either Becky or Amelia too well.