56. Asylum with an Old Friend.

Start from the beginning

As the pink and vermilion shades of dusk spread across the land Abeloni let out a small noise of surprise as Y/N steered the house off the main highway and towards a cozy little farmhouse with a small barn and several pens of wooly white sheep. "Why are we stopping?" He asked in confusion as she dismounted and he followed suit, splaying out his legs to keep from falling to the ground. "We-we should keep moving-"

"You can barely stand," she stated as she looped his good arm around her shoulders and helped steady him. "we've traveled far enough, we need to treat your would and rest our horse."

Taking the reigns in her free hand she led them towards a small sheep pen where a lone farm hand stood, messing with the latch at the gate. "Just let me do the talking, alright?" She hissed in Abeloni's ear before turning her attention to the familiar farmhand and calling out to him "Excuse me, Petiro, is that you?"

"Y-Y/N?!" He stammered, nearly tripping as he whirled around to face her. His eyes grew wide and his mouth dropped as the woman who he hadn't seen in months stood at his family farm holding the reigns of a white stallion in one hand and supporting a stranger with a blood-soaked shirt. "Why-why are you here? You left months ago- w-who is he and w-why is there an arrow in his shoulder?!" He stammered as he stumbled back.

"I can't tell you the entire story but," She bit her lip, trying to come up with a story that was believable, not wanting the innocent boy to get entangled in their problems. "He's my lover, his father disapproved of the idea of our marriage and we had to flee, one of his father's men hit him by mistake during our escape. Will you please help us?" She asked as she met his gentle eyes.

"That's right!" Abeloni said as he forced a grin and donned his arrogant persona. "Now, I demand you help us-" Y/N stepped on his foot before he gave away his identity completely.

"M-married... Are you really engaged Y/N?" He asked, his voice quivering as he looked between the two of them in disbelief.

Wondering herself if Abeloni still wanted to marry her after everything that happened she eventually said, "Yes, I am." She resisted the urge to glance nervously at him after saying this.

"I see," was all Petiro said for a while, his round face pale. After several moments of thought, he eventually said, "you both can spend the night in the barn and rest your horse, in the meantime I'll do what I can for that wound."

He guided them both into the cozy barn with an overflowing hayloft and a docile dairy cow. Y/N removed the saddle and reigns from their horse while Petito instructed Abeloni to sit on the milking stool while he ran and got some medical supplies from the house. Upon his return he applied water to the area to clean it before gingerly tugging the arrow out, ignoring Abeloni's screams as he stuffed clean wool into the wound and wrapped his shoulder in cotton cloth.

Through the immense pain, he was feeling Abeloni noticed that Petito kept glancing at Y/N with a look that made his insides writhe with jealousy.  Y/N fell asleep almost immediately after Petiro had bid them goodnight, exhausted from her lack of sleep and the stressful events of the day, but Abeloni lay awake in the dark barn.

Even though he hadn't slept the previous night either, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. So he forced himself to stay awake and before long his patience was rewarded when he heard someone slip inside and the rustling of a horse being saddled. "What do you think you're doing with our horse?" Abeloni asked as he quit pretending to sleep, turning to see that Petiro had frozen in the middle of tacking up their stallion.

"Well I-I," he stammered, his eyes darting around to locate who had spoken in the dark barn. "I was just taking him out to graze in the pasture and-" he rambled once he locked eyes with Abeloni in the near darkness.

"-At night? With a saddle? Dressed in such a long coat?" The crown prince snickered as he leaned against one of the barn posts for support. "Admit it, you were going to take our horse, ride into Bocio, and betray us weren't you?" He asked, his blue eyes flashing dangerously in the dark.

"I-I, what else was I supposed to do when I found out the woman I've loved for years is engaged to a stuck-up noble," He spat bitterly, crossing his arms and staring defiantly at him. "If your lord father gets his hands on you he won't let you marry her."

"You know nothing about my father," Abeloni said with a low chuckle as he picked up his bow and arrows from where they had rested next to him in the straw, feeling a bloodlust that he had never felt before at the thought of someone ever taking Y/N from him. "If he ever catches us he will kill Y/N and, because you put her at risk, now I'm going to kill you." He said, a twisted smile stretching his face as he notched an arrow. He had to switch which hand was drawing the string back because of his injury, but for someone who had been practicing archery his whole life, it was an easy feat.

Before Petiro could react to the surprising fact that the injured archer could still use his weapon he was struck, the shaft of the arrow sticking out between his wide eyes as his lifeless body slumped to the ground. "Ha... Ha... Ha..." Abeloni laughed manically between pants as his injured arm fell to his side, he felt as though he was burning up. Slowly the fog of bloodlust cleared from his mind and he was left stunned when he focused again on the lifeless body."What did I-I-I just - I have to hide his body..."  He quickly covered him in straw, trying to ignore the guilt he felt.

Turning to the woman for whose sake all his recent insane actions had been for he was surprised to see that she was still asleep, she must have been exhausted to sleep through the previous commotion. "Y/N, wake up!" He said urgently as he knelt down and shook her awake. "We have to leave, Petiro betrayed us!"

A/N

Looks like Abeloni has completed his transformation into a yandere. Do you think this will change his relationship with Y/N?

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~