47. The Power of First Love.

Y/N stared blankly at the door that the queen had stepped through for several minutes, her mind still spinning with all the things that the queen had told her. Her emotions were in at least as much turmoil as her mind. After failing to assassinate the royal family again only to be forgiven by the queen was simultaneously relieving and insulting.

Her body still ached and felt cold and shaky so she had no choice but to remain laying on the bed. Forget who I used to be, my family and country, and start a new life entirely, could I even do that? She questioned, her mind's eye filling with memories of all the suffering that she had endured.
Could I have a new life here, and maybe even... Find love? She turned her head to look at the sleeping prince next to her and blushed at the thought of loving him.

She couldn't help but admire his features as he laid there. His bright eyes the color of the sea were closed, his dark lashes resting against his pale cheeks, his long chocolate curls more messy than normal as they spilled over his back and across the pillow. Moments after her E/C eyes began to examine him he stirred and started mumbling. "Y-Y/N... Y/N..."

"Shh, it's alright," she soothed him, extending her arm to stroke his cheek noticing that he was beginning to become distressed. "I'm here."

"Y/N!!!" He exclaimed as soon as his teal eyes blinked open wide enough to see her face. "YOU'RE AWAKE!!!" He bolted up from his cot and threw himself at her, knocking the air from her lungs as he landed on top of her and wrapped his arms around her.

"Abeloni-" she gasped, trying to regain the breath she had lost and shocked by his sudden embrace, trying to sit up.

"Thank Luccia!!!'' He cried, not hearing her words and squeezing her tighter as he buried his face against her neck. "I didn't know if you'd ever wake up. If you'd ever come back to me..."

"Abeloni... You're smothering me..." Y/N tried to protest but her voice broke again, reducing her ability to speak to little more than a hoarse whisper.

"I'm sorry Y/N but I can't let go of you," even though the apology sounded sincere the fact that he was squeezing her tighter by the moment made it harder to believe, "not when I came so close to losing you forever."

Y/N wasn't sure how to act, she couldn't speak and her voice and her body were too weak to move. Her heart started pounding in her chest as she felt something wet on her neck and it took her a moment to realize that Abeloni was crying.

"It was unbearable... All I could think about was what my life would be like without you and I couldn't bear it," he continued to cling to her without showing a hint of embarrassment for how close they were. "If you didn't recover then I surely would have died too."

"Your Highness please, don't say such things," Y/N managed to croak out, her cheeks flushed in embarrassment at the boldness and passion in his words. "I'm not that important..."

"But you are," He lifted his head so that he could gaze into her eyes. Tears still glimmered in his eyes but his face had an expression of nearly unimaginable joy as he looked at her. "watching you nearly die made me realize that you are everything to me. You mean more to me than anyone else in Luccia, in the whole world."

"Y/N, I love you," he leaned his face so close to hers that she could feel his warm breath fanning her face as he gazed deeply into her eyes. "I don't know for how long but now there is no doubt in my mind that I love you and always will."

"Abeloni, please," Y/N tried to reason with him despite her aching throat, her mind spinning even more than it had been while talking to the queen. She had received professions of love before but none have them were as raw and detailed as his and it unnerved her. "The lack of food must be affecting you, you'd never say such outlandish things otherwise-" she tried to explain it away.

"That's not true!!" He protested, something similar to desperation in his eyes, he wanted her to understand just how deeply he had grown to love her. "My mind is clearer than it has ever been, I'm in love with you Y/N. You have no idea how much I think about you, you're always on my mind. My heart pounds in my chest when I'm with you and I feel like everything is right in the world as long as we're together."

"Something about you is just so captivating," He sighed, a wide dreamy smile stretching across his handsome face. "I couldn't stay away from you even if I wanted to, you are so magnetic. If I didn't know better I would think that you had cast a spell on me, but this must be the true power of love."

Realizing that there was no real way for her to escape from his hold or form the current conversation she decided to just lay back and let him talk until he was finished.

"I always wondered why my father dotes on my mother like he does but I think I understand now," he remarked as he gazed off into the distance with the same dreamy grin. "I would do anything in the world to make you happy."

Glancing around so that she wouldn't have to look at Abeloni's expression that was almost comical her eyes were drawn towards the only other occupied cot in the large hall the was two cots away from hers. "Abeloni, who is that woman over there?" She asked trying to change the subject.

"Oh that's Lady Abela of the house of Biustanini," He answered as he followed her gaze. "She was my father's first love, but she's been unconscious for over twenty years now and not even the Royal Physician knows what the cause is."

"She's so beautiful," Y/N felt bad for the woman to be stuck in such a state, but she still managed to look elegant with her blonde hair pinned up with pearl and emerald pins and her prim lips resting in a faint smile as she slept. Her bedside was surrounded by several vases of yellow daffodils that were just beginning to wilt. "Her name sounds similar to yours." She commented after a moment's pause.

"Well, it's only natural," Abeloni chuckled, smiling his charming smile. "My father did insist on naming me after her."

"Oh, didn't that bother the Queen?" Y/N asked, wondering just how much patience that woman truly had.

"No, she understands that nothing is quite the same as the feeling of first love since she was in love before she met my father." He explained as he returned his gaze to the sleeping lady. "He still visits her every week and brings her flowers and has for as long as I can remember."

The silence hung thick and heavy in the room after that. Turning his attention back to Y/N with a smile, the adoring glint appeared in his teal eyes again as he nuzzled his head back into her neck.

"I never used to understand his actions and what was so special about first love, but now I get it," he crooned, lost in his romantic fantasies as he held her. "Now that I know exactly how he feels, and seeing you nearly die, well, it makes me never want to leave your side again."

A/N

I'm sorry! I can't believe that I almost forgot to post a chapter today. Today has been a hard day.

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~