005.

one week ago , ministry of magic        

     [ I'll play god, today , ante up and play that god a poker game ]

        *.·:·.☽✧ ✦                                                                   THEIR NIGHTS were spent in insomniac dazes. the hours that spun into the ever-growing luna were utilised in gathering supplies or exploring their surroudnings. rainwater glistened sparkles between the cracks in the concrete roads , a single drop of the evening drizzle trickling down her cheekbones in the likeness of a tear — a fierce fire burning in the voids of her otherwise empty eyes. using a disillusionment charm to conceal herself from a hundred watchful eyes at the ministry hadn't been an easy feat , but necessary nevertheless — that is , if she ever wanted to be a free person , someone whose head the minister wasn't wishing to hang from a rope.

draco was away in west london , making note of all the secure apparition points where they wouldn't be caught in case they had to flee the country in an emergency. she had told him she would be doing the same , right before they had parted ways and she had apparated to the confines of the sprawling ministry. of course , it was as reckless as it came — her being a fugitive with only a few disillusionment charms to camouflage herself into her surroundings.

hordes of witches and wizards dressed in robes flooded the corridors gilded in gold , almost reminding her of the pedestrian filled , winding streets of london. flashes of viridian crackled at the parallels of the corridor , signalling the arrival of various workers via floo powder as she navigated her way through them. as far as evanna remembered from her last visit , the department of magical law enforcement was on the fourth floor.

turning left , she found herself walking towards the far end of the atrium hall — towards the elevators waiting behind the golden gates. a suffocating smell of stale cologne filled the periphery of the lift — making her scrunch her nose at the two men deep in conversation who had entered right ahead of her.

 the department of magical cooperation was a circular labyrinth of rooms , throngs of people and working elves creating a low hum of chatter in the atmosphere. the clicking of her shoes was inaudible there , as evanna directed herself towards the auror office.

the auror office consisted of senior aurors who presided over wizengamot meetings. the ideal place for her objectives. the ceilings curved inwards , the pillars flanking it almost fusing together at the apex into a starless twilight. stacks of files had grown into pylons on the verge of toppling , crouching new appointees vying to be field work aurors behind the files hurrying to finish the paperwork.

she turned left , towards the diverging corridor witholding the separate offices of all veteran or senior ranking aurors. 

"there it is", evanna breathed quietly , standing by the door — the placard upon it reading 'secretary.' whatever fragments she remembered of the timings , the wizengamot began a court session everyday at nine in the morning — before which the undersecretary would meet with the secretary to discuss the objectives of the upcoming session at eight. letting out a sigh , she leaned against the wall in hopes of the remaining ten minutes quickly passing by.

to her pleasure , she saw the undersecretary walking down the far end , and bringing ip her wrist she consulted the time — reading the time by her watch. 

right on time.

 just as the lady opened the door , a sprightly smile spread across her features , evanna slipped in behind her   —  right before the door closed behind them inaudibly.

"good morning , i brought in the reports for today", she observed the undersecretary greet her senior — light gold eyes glinting. the secretary smiled , greeting her before asking ,"you seem exceptionally cheerful today , hilton. any particular reason you want to share if it does not seem like i'm prying ?"

"not at all miss kumar , they just approved my leave application.  oh merlin , i need a vacation to deal with all of this", hilton sighed , passing the required files onto her senior. the secretary nodded understandingly , a smile etching across her lips making a few wrinkles appear on her dark skin. evanna noted that the badge pinned across the latter's collar read 'aditi kumar.'             

both of them were included in wizengamot meetings and were efficient assets in the official department of magical law enforcement.

without further ado , she walked ahead , neatly plucking strands of hair from both their , causing them to eye each other curiously before returning to the paperwork. producing two test tubes from her pocket , she slipped the hairs into the respective glasses — the lighter shade being hilton's and the darker being that of kumar's.

right before she could turn to leave , a piece of information passing between the duo caught her ears , and evanna halted in her tracks — blue retinas focusing on the pair once forth.

"mr. potter and the minister are planning on informing the muggle minister ?"

"yes , and i am worried that this threatens the statute of secrecy."

"what is so special about them ? the aurors are enough to catch them , they are children after all."

"there have been rumours that—"

her eyes widened slightly at what she heard next. their conversation was hushed , as though they felt anyone outside could hear them — as though disclosing some forbidden information. the reason for them being pursued wasn't what she had expected — having formulated their possible causes based on whatever draco had overheard and told her. and although her tongue parched , as though choked on dust , a sickening urge crawled up her stomach — a slow , almost lazy grin pulling her lips upwards into a grin.

this just got more exciting than she presumed.